16: Defiance At Musk Reef

"I'm afraid I can't comply with your wishes. I must pass through. Step aside. The last thing I want is to destroy the portal while teaching you a lesson," Soleil said adamantly.

"You heard the lady. Leave," Kaeya ordered. His Vision glowed and the sand beneath was encased in ice. Soleil's eyes wavered as she gripped the retracted gun in her left holster.

No. Not yet. If she doesn't have to, she won't. Her shaky hands were forced into a tight fist, encasing a few bomb pins within them and the trigger on the other hand.

"Fools. You have been warned and you dare disregard my words?! Very well then! Meet your punishment and feel the wrath of the Abyss!" the Abyss Herald declared, its entire body explosive with Abyssal magic.

"Talkative," Kaeya clicked his tongue. The ice under his feet rapidly scattered and attempted to trap the Abyss Herald.

But the creature warped away in time, reappearing behind Kaeya. Kaeya's eyes narrowed and was ready to block the attack when a distinct and familiar explosion of Electro disrupted the Abyss Herald's attempt in attacking.

The pins in between Soleil's fingers reflected the sunlight as it was sent towards the Abyss Herald.

The Abyss Herald humphed mockingly and cast the incoming pins to the side. It also blocked an incoming swipe of Kaeya's sword and was forced to keep distance.

"I'll take vanguard. You do support," Kaeya said as Soleil met with him. "Mm," Soleil nodded.

The two then part ways, one headed for the Abyss Herald and another unto a vantage point atop a rocky boulder.

Soleil flung another pin towards the Abyss Herald and before the pin could reach it, she clicked the detonator, catching the Abyss Herald in a hurtful surprise.

Kaeya emerged from the cloud of buzzing Electro and appeared in front of the enemy, briefly making contact with its shoulders and encased it in ice.

The contact of Electro and Cryo initiated a superconductive reaction, causing the Abyssal Herald to groan in pain.

It yelled in irritation, destroying the ice encasing its shoulder and darted towards Kaeya, swiping a clawed hand unto the cavalry captain but was blocked by a blade.

The weight of the Abyss Herald's attack forced Kaeya to slide back on the sand with a disgruntled face. "Hah," he said, motioning his hand upwards.

The ice spreading across the floor broke off into shards and flew upwards in a swift motion, injuring the Abyss Herald and aggravating it even further.

Soleil tossed five pins around the Abyss Herald in a pentagon formation, signalling Kaeya to get out. Kaeya nodded and jumped away before Soleil clicked the trigger, creating a dense and concentrated field of Electro that made the Abyss Herald yell and kneel in pain.

"Impudent mortals! You dare?!" it yelled. Its body seeped with Abyssal magic as it yelled a battle cry. He darted in for the kill, appearing in front of Kaeya in the blink of an eye.

Even Kaeya was caught in a suprise, as he barely managed to block the attack. He made several, repeated blocks using his sword and his Vision's powers. But even he felt overwhelmed with the bloodlust the Abyss Herald was giving off and nearly gave up his stance.

He made an attempt to switch to offensive with a slice, but the Abyss Herald warped away again, appearing behind and attempted to strike again.

Kaeya was able to read his moves and put up an ice shield that shattered against the punch of the Herald.

This gave Kaeya time to put distance between them. But his eye narrowed when the Abyss Herald warped again, this time appearing above him to make a destructive landing.