80: Rhine and Gold

The creation of life required unity of two halves. That's how it's always been since the beginning of time and creation of the world.

Yet Soleil was an exception to this very law. She was not born from unity of man and woman. If not...then how did she come to being exactly?

She was not a god but she wasn't very human in nature either. What was her identity if even her nature was unknown to her?

That was how her quest to ultimate knowledge began. Before she sought the light, she first ventured and understood the darkness. Before she sought life, she first needed to understand what death meant.

That was how they met. Two hands sought the fruit, and so the snake bound them both within the coils of its body. None shall be able to break this promise without ultimate sacrifice.

The deal was made, and efforts would come to fruition. However, sentiments collided with ambition. Before they knew it, the world was in chaos.

There a price to be paid for each blessing received-that was the hidden law of the Visions. While Soleil rejected the price of the divine, she could more or less afford what she sought after instead.

To hold the world's lost arts at the cost of her life. She took it quite literally. But the mask of ice continued to bloom, and the frozen glaze of blue in her executioner's eyes as cold as the blade deep in her chest...

Not yet...

There is still so much to be done...

Her quest has not yet ended.

Go back.

She cannot rest until it was fulfilled.

"Come back to me."

She opened her eyes. Two pairs of shimmering blue gazed down on her solemnly.

"Soleil!"

"You're okay..."

Soleil was still disoriented, but she could still make out the blob of royal blue hair resting against her collarbone. One of her hands was being gripped tightly.

"Kaeya..." she whispered. The mentioned knight sat up and gave her one of the most worried faces she's ever seen.

"I'm here. Are you feeling unwell again? Do you need a healer?" Kaeya asked frantically. Yet, all he got was a faint smile.

"Why... Why are you smiling like that?" Kaeya asked with creased eyebrows. "Haha... It's nothing," Soleil laughed faintly, "Looks like I've been found again."

Kaeya frowned at her words. "Don't you dare do that again. You had me worried sick! When Albedo came here with you bleeding so much, I-!" he sighed loudly, covering his face with a hand, "Just... Don't do that again. Please..."

"I'm sorry," Soleil whispered, her heart feeling a little ache to see Kaeya so worried now that they saw each other again.

Kaeya looked at her again. His heart calmed to see her skin a healthy flush of both tan and fair. He felt more at ease to see life blooming inside her eyes.

"I'm just glad you're alright. Now, don't do that again," he said, resting his forehead against her hand, "If this is what surprise visits are supposed to be like, then I don't want it."

"Ah... It seems I have more to learn to pull one of your caliber," Soleil smiled jokingly. "You bet, so don't even think about doing another one without an expert's approval," Kaeya mumbled.

Soleil giggled and ruffled his hair gently. She looked around and saw she was inside the familiar headquarters of the Knights of Favonius. The room she was in must be one of the dorm rooms.