45: Chalk, Water, and Stardust

Albedo stared at the busy girl treading the snow with obvious impetus. She was too energetic that even he was having a hard time matching her pace.

"Could you slow down for a moment? I'm having difficulty walking in the snow," Albedo called out to the girl that was walking rapidly.

"Hehe, don't get left behind now," Soleil replied with a grin before speeding up on the terrain. The alchemist sighed and only forced himself to catch up.

It is kind of his fault for telling Soleil about the things he found in the upper regions of Dragonspine. She wouldn't stop asking and he had no problem answering her seemingly harmless questions.

But he didn't expect that she would immediately set out after getting her gears ready. He wasn't obliged to follow her, but Albedo still did it anyway.

Soleil stopped momentarily, raising a hand over her eyes as she stared up. This also caused the tiny reddish-orange lantern floating beside her to stop moving.

The seelie lantern acted like a catalyst, floating after its owner like it had its own sentience and glowed brightly. The brighter it glowed, the more warmth it provided around its surroundings.

Contrasting what she said to Kaeya, the lantern didn't cage in an actual seelie. Rather, it was designed to act like one. As if Soleil could bear to hurt those cute things.

But it was like an upgraded warming bottle, crafted by Soleil for occasions like exploring Dragonspine leisurely and for a long while, too.

"How far is it?" Soleil turned to Albedo. "We should be able to get there after climbing a few more times," Albedo answered as he caught up.

"Alright," Soleil said and brisk-walked, leaving him behind again. Albedo shook his head and followed, "You seem livelier today."

"Hmm, maybe it's because I feel warmer. Getting stuck in the snow is no fun," Soleil answered. A few twigs snapped under her boots.

"I can see that. This seelie lantern of yours is a useful tool," Albedo commented. "Do you want me to make you one?" Soleil looked over shoulder.

Albedo chuckled. "No. I am fine traversing in the snow like this. I just find it convenient for you. That's all," he answered.

Soleil shrugged. "If you say so," she said. They passed by a few activated mechanisms and pillars, which caught her attention.

"Somebody's been here before. I've seen other runes and they've all been activated," she mused.

"It would seem that a few people were able to solve its formations and retrieve some useful items afterward," Albedo commented.

Soleil pouted in disappointment before shaking her head. That's a shame. Still, if others were able to figure it out, then it is something that would be too easy for her.

They eventually reached the areas surrounding the peaks of Dragonspine and wound up in the Ancient Palace of the Entombed City. While the sheer coldness would have been a trouble, the nearby braziers and Soleil's seelie lantern kept them warm.

Soleil marvelled at the sight of the ruins that came to view. Large broken pillars, structures and staircases buried in the snow were everywhere and from the looks of it, used to be a large building.

"This has to be Sal Vindagnyr," Soleil stated through foggy puffs of air. "You know about this place?" Albedo asked.

Soleil shrugged and walked deeper into the ancient ruins, causing Albedo to follow. Shadows were cast on them by the tall structures and the seelie lantern illuminated the path.