Part Sixteen

31: Cause No Trouble

"So," Childe smirked, "How did the meeting with your clients go?"

"Fairly smooth, since I leave mine alive. What about it?" Soleil retorted, knowing he meant the presumed meet-up with Ayato and Kujou Sara.

"Well, that's no fun. I was hoping we could come into a collaboration in due time," Childe shrugged. Soleil snorted.

"Always looking for trouble, aren't–" Soleil stopped short with a sudden burst of violent coughs.

She bent down and covered her mouth, but it did not stop the splatter of blood from dripping unto the ground, staining her gloves red.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Childe asked. Soleil looked at her gloves and pursed her lips bitterly as she removed her gloves, "Don't mind it. It's nothing new."

"Can you breathe?" Childe asked. "Yes," Soleil answered. "Your chest doesn't hurt?" Childe asked.

"Just mildly," Soleil replied. "Your head spinning or vision doubling?" Childe asked.

"I can see perfectly fine and no, I don't plan on fainting. Stop asking like you're worried," Soleil said.

Childe chuckled wryly, "Still thinking you can control everything, can you?"

"Picking a fight again with me, aren't you?" Soleil raised an eyebrow. "No. I'm just saying that even if you don't want to, your body still has limits. Don't push it if you're not ready," Childe said, offering a handkerchief.

Soleil glanced at it, then at Childe. She crossed her arms, "I'd appreciate it if you'd stop pretending to care."

Childe rolled his eyes. "Suit yourself," he said, placing his handkerchief away, "If you drop dead, I won't bother burying you."

"I wouldn't ask you to," Soleil retorted. Childe shook his head, "So hostile."

"Hmph," Soleil said, pocketing her bloodied gloves. It felt strange having her hands exposed. It was uncomfortable.

Her lips pursed very faintly. The backlash of using magic was getting worse with the passing of time.

"Did you find what you came here for?" Soleil asked. "No. You?" Childe asked. Soleil shook her head.

"Barely," she said. "So we've both been dealt a tough hand this time," Childe mused.

Soleil pondered for a bit. "You know," she began almost hesitantly, "I ran into Scaramouche some time ago."

"Did you now?" Childe side-glanced at her. "It was only brief. He was on his way out of the city so I doubt he's hanging around anymore," Soleil said.

"Hm. Surprising," Childe mused. Soleil looked at him, "You don't look very intrigued."

"Searching for someone with no more plans to take him down is kind of a bummer for me. But that's good to know," Childe looked to the distance, "If he was in Inazuma even just recently, that means he had some business to tend to."

He side-glanced at her with dull glimmer in his eyes. "It's funny since he suddenly shows up just in time when you began working in Inazuma," he said.

"Hmph. I know what you're insinuating. I'd like to know if there's a connection between those two as well," Soleil crossed her arms, "If this is what you came to talk to me about, rest assured that I'm not telling you a single thing about myself and Scaramouche if there was one."

"I wasn't planning on negotiating," Childe mused, though undertones of a threat lingered in his voice as they dropped in pitch. But it switched back to normal just as he shrugged nonchalantly, "But that's beside the reason I came back."