61: See You When I See You

"Never in my entire life did I expect I would go out ghost-hunting in the middle of the night," Soleil huffed as she pushed aside some bushes and walked ahead.

"Right?! Isn't it exciting? And to top it all off, we have all of Wuwang Hill to ourselves!" Hu Tao clapped excitedly, "We are sure to have the best time of our lives, hehehe~! I can't wait!"

"Hu Tao... We're here to investigate, not...whatever you have in mind," Chongyun said, shooting Hu Tao a concerned look.

"I'd appreciate a little silence, too. I can't hear our surroundings properly," Soleil said, her eyes darting side to side warily.

"Oh, please! The only things you'll hear are the crickets chirping and the spirits giggling–"

Splat!

Hu Tao blinked when Soleil smashed an Electro cicin with her heel.

"...And Electro cicins perishing under a nonbeliever's will," Hu Tao said playfully. Soleil wiped her heels against the grass.

"Why are we inside Wuwang Hill again?" she asked tiredly. "Because we need to go into the afterlife!" Hu Tao answered with a grin.

"I'd like to stay alive for a few more decades, thank you very much," Chongyun mumbled.

"No, not in that sense! Besides, with how much yang energy you have, you might just purge the whole realm," Hu Tao said.

Soleil giggled, "It's better if they didn't receive Chongyun when that day comes, huh?"

"You are talking about me dying hypothetically and as if I'm not here," Chongyun sighed. Hu Tao snickered.

"Hehe. We all need to pay that price in due time..." she said eerily and turned to Soleil, "Anyway, the reason we're here is because I need to ask our friends from the other side if they know a little something about what's bothering us. It shouldn't take long, granted that we get there earlier."

"And you," Hu Tao pointed at Chongyun, "You need to stay here at the outskirts."

"What?! Y-You want me to stay out here by myself?" Chongyun asked, scooting back in disbelief.

"Don't tell me you're scared?" Hu Tao raised an eyebrow, "If anything, it's the ghosts that should be scared of you. You're a famous exorcist, after all."

"The irony," Soleil mused. "If you come with us, I won't be able to get any information, let alone meet any spirit before you purge them first!" Hu Tao placed her hands on her hips and grinned, "So be a good boy and wait for us here, alright?"

"Hmph. It's not like I have a chance against you both," Chongyun crossed his arms sulkily. Soleil giggled and patted his head.

"Just let Hu Tao do her thing," she said. Chongyun looked at her while she ruffled his soft hair.

"I'm worried. Are you sure you don't want me to come? Something might happen," Chongyun mumbled.

"If there was, then this trip would be meaningful," Soleil said with a knowing smile.

Chongyun was confused. He was about to speak when Soleil turned and went to Hu Tao's side.

"You ready?" Hu Tao asked. "Yup. Let's go," Soleil answered.

"Be careful, you two. If something happens, I will ditch my post and get you," Chongyun called out.

Soleil waved at him before jogging with Hu Tao, entering the deep, dark forest. Chongyun sighed and looked around. He'd better keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

"I'm curious, Soleil. What made you want to come with me? You always found the afterlife boring," Hu Tao mused, "I mean, isn't it strange? Someone who is bound to die does not believe in ghosts or anything of the like."