20: Look Where It Got You

A messenger bird let out a shrill cry before flocking towards Soleil's arm.

Around its leg was a small parchment tied with a violet ribbon. Soleil could tell it was slightly scented as she unrolled the piece of paper.

Soleil hummed as she read it. The bird perched on her arms and cleaned its feathers with its beak.

"It seems there wasn't much development in Liyue's inner circle while I was away," Soleil said before shredding the paper to pieces.

The white specks fluttered like dust before plopping against the ground while Soleil followed after Xiao on the dirt road back to Liyue Harbor.

Strange. It seems her mysterious adversary really was after her. Contrary to the expectations that she would come after the Qixing now that their helpful aid was out of the picture.

Soleil scratched the chin of the bird before letting it fly away. What would be their next move?

"If you're done with your musing, pick up your pace or you'll be left behind," Xiao's sharp voice made Soleil look ahead.

The Yaksha was brisk-walking with no intention to wait for Soleil. The girl snorted before jogging to catch up, "You're not a very nice bodyguard, are you?"

Xiao ignored her comment and looked around with mastered vigilance. His eyes narrowed on the slightest of movements in the surroundings, ready for almost anything.

"I'm getting hungry," Soleil mumbled and looked at Xiao's back, "Hey, Xiao."

"What?" Xiao asked with a snappy tone. "You didn't sleep last night, right?" Soleil asked.

"I did not. Like I said, adepti do not need sleep," Xiao answered. Soleil tilted her head, "Strange... Is your body composition really that different from a human's?"

Xiao made a condescending snort, "You sound as if I could be mistaken as an ordinary and weak human. What a disagreeable and noxious idea."

"But you look human. I mean, other than that deadly aura around you, you look like a boy that just hit puberty," Soleil said amusingly.

Soleil moved back in surprise when Xiao abruptly turned to her and gave her a chilling and warning stare.

"Enough with your nonsense. Unless it is of utmost importance, I don't want to hear it," Xiao stated coldly.

The same deathly aura from last night loomed the longer Soleil dared to meet Xiao's intimidating gaze. It was as if by staring at him, you could feel the coldness in your bones despite being under the warm, morning sun.

Soleil blinked her eyes a few times as Xiao glared harder at her. Then, a smile crept on her lips.

"Actually, forget what I said. You definitely pass for a teenager. You gotta watch those mood swings," Soleil giggled, unbothered with Xiao's glare.

"Ugh," Xiao said irritatingly and walked ahead. Soleil trotted after him with a cat smile that always meant mischief.

"So if your body isn't really like a human's and you don't sleep, does that mean you also don't eat? You must really be like the other adepti," Soleil mused, "Speaking of, why do you have a human body while the others are animals? Do you have an animal form too or is it a Yaksha thing? What's the difference between a Yaksha and an Adepti anyway?"

Xiao's eyebrows furrowed as he tried to block out the babbling girl's voice. But when he was unsuccessful, he touched his forehead, feeling a headache coming on.

He was ready for anything and everything. But apparently, this girl was not part of the description.

"What an insufferable human," Xiao grumbled, not caring if the girl heard it or if she was offended by his blunt words.