21: The Value of Mora

The news of the 10 Million Mora Scam, as Yanfei put it, spread like wildfire among the merchants and citizens of Liyue. Even as the Millelith limited the information disseminated, the people immediately thought of one thing when they heard the news: The Fatui.

Maybe it was out of consideration that the Qixing had Childe detained before allowing the news to circulate. Otherwise, Soleil suspected that the Tsaritsa would order Childe to return to Snezhnaya so he can have an assignment elsewhere and wait for the issue to die down.

But that would only make the Fatui look guilty. They had painted themselves a dirty picture for the population to see and anything they do will only make them look dirtier.

Soleil sighed as she leaned back on the couch she sat on. This was why reputation was important. There is a reason why they say that one should guard their reputation with their life.

When used properly, a person can open up numerous possibilities and possibly get away with anything without casting away the light. It all comes down to how a person controls how they are seen–how well they can play with their persona and fool everyone else.

But the Tsaritsa has no care for pretensions like public image or reputation. Although it makes her true and noble in a way, what use is it in a situation where public sentiment plays a key role to one's success?

Soleil rubbed her forehead. Well, she was sure that one was not her concern yet (hopefully never will be). But now, she must put her own personal matters on hold thanks to recent developments.

A loud sigh escaped Soleil's lips as she ran a hand through her hair, "Tartaglia would better wish he did nothing this time around. He's practically dragging me down with him..."

Soleil stopped lamenting when she heard crisp footsteps from the stairs. It was the kind that makes a sound so distinct that you can tell it was someone refined making the casual, unhurried rhythm of footsteps.

She turned and saw Zhongli descending the stairs. He turned to her spot and his eyebrows rose slightly.

"Oh. Soleil. I didn't expect you to visit so soon," Zhongli said. "But you were still expecting me, weren't you?" Soleil jabbed playfully.

Zhongli chuckled lightly as he approached the living room of the funeral parlor. "Tea?" Soleil asked as she raised an empty teacup from the table before her.

"Please," Zhongli nodded. Soleil got up to pour him tea, holding the teapot carefully and with mastered elegance as if she had done it many times before.

"Here you go," Soleil said and offered the cup to Zhongli once she finished. "Thank you," the man said and took a sip.

Afterwards, he placed the cup down gently and turned to Soleil. "I heard the news just this morning," he said.

"Pfft, that was because it happened this morning," Soleil said amusingly, "Childe was detained. According to the investigation, the Fatui might be involved with the stolen mora so they're keeping the guy until he was proven innocent."

"I see. It is not surprising if the public had thought of the Fatui first. Their infamy is known worldwide," Zhongli chuckled and sipped more of his tea.

"So...is he?" Soleil asked, "The Fatui has connections to Wangsheng. You must have caught wind of something."

Zhongli gave Soleil a curious look. "So you've decided to help the Fatui this time around. I thought taking the Qixing's side would be safer for you," he said.

"I'm already helping with the policy-making with Ningguang. What matters right now is that we recover the mora first and if Tartaglia has nothing to do with it, then perfect. If not, I can just fabricate something and throw the official investigation off-track to justify the restoration of mora and his involvement–But that is just the worst case scenario!" Soleil quickly added when she saw Zhongli squint his eyes at her in disapproval.