12: A Waltz of Wits and Game of Guile

Soleil signed the last page before closing the book in hand. A satisfied sigh escaped her lips.

"After three days, I'm finally done!" Soleil smiled, looking at the book in hand proudly.

She visited the Adventurer's Guild for more information on the ruins and asked about Pilos Peak.

It turns out, somebody also asked about it before her. It was easier on Soleil's part now that the information was available to her.

Before Old Mondstadt fell, there was a mountain taller than any of the Archons' creations called Pilos Peak. It was cold and rigid, and life was impossible due to its sheer coldness.

There wasn't a single person who made it to the top, but an adventurer named Leonard dedicated his life to trying to conquer Pilos Peak. But when he was unsuccessful, he gave way to the invention of the windglider, which many people use today. This was in his hopes that people may reach his dreams for him.

As for the Temple of the Lion, it was a place of worship for the Lion of the South, another member of the Four Winds of Mondstadt. After getting all the information she can get, she stopped by the library and asked to borrow some books from Lisa.

Soleil then proceeded to lock herself at the inn. She focused on comparing her papers and sketches, writing some thoughts and coming to some conclusions. After which, she had a leatherworker bind the pages and the result was a book with decent thickness.

"All of my findings put into a book. Kaeya shouldn't mock me and my skills," Soleil smiled smugly, lying on her bed and raising the book above her.

The smug smile slowly evaporated from her face as she began to look at the contents of the book. She glided a finger on the cover page and flipped it.

"How interesting," she mused when she stumbled on a page where her sketches of Stormterror's Lair rested.

Before it was Stormterror's Lair, those ruins were once the home of the tyrannical beast Decarabian.

Decarabian was a dragon that brought terror to the people of Old Mondstadt until the Anemo Archon intervened.

Mondstadt was rebuilt and its old home turned into the ruins Soleil sees in the present. Decarabian's Lair was now known as Stormterror's Lair. What was ironic was that "Stormterror" was the name given to Dvalin when he wreaked havoc in Mond several months past.

And Dvalin was one of the Four Winds, a partaker in the war to free Old Mondstadt. How was he named Stormterror and why did he attack the city he once protected?

He was poisoned in a battle against Durin, another corrupted dragon that attacked Mondstadt some hundred years ago. Durin's venom corrupted Dvalin's mind as he fell into a slumber, waking up only to cause chaos in Mondstadt, which wasn't the same city he once knew.

Dvalin was not known by the people and so, thought him to be a tyrannical beast. But all was taken care of when a person they called the Traveller, offered assistance and purified the dragon's venom.

"And everyone had a happy ending," Soleil mused. Though the mystery is not yet solved.

Old Mondstadt and Stormterror's Lair... Both places have intertwining stories, but their origins have a large gap in between.

Stormterror's Lair had existed long before Mondstadt did, as stated by the history books that Decarabian sought refuge in the ruins before it tried to take Mondstadt.

And Durin... Hah. Like the Field Tillers, Durin was a machination meant to serve a purpose. And for the beast to be sent to Mondstadt specifically...