Prologue: The Screen of 'Colors'

It was a time no longer than ten years past, yet he still remembers the day he came across that shrine maiden as if it merely happened in the blink of an eye.

Ten years ago, he was still but a lad with much to learn and duties to fulfill. The nobility of responsibility, the intricacy of ceremony... He had much to do so there was not a moment he could spare to rest. Not a second to pause and take a deep breath.

He paused his steps up the stony stairs to look up at the skies. A sakura blossom would flutter into his hand amidst the rain of fresh flowers in spring, and his eyes glimmered.

He looked at the castle of clouds sailing in the heavens. At daytime, there was not a single strike of lightning seen nor claps of thunder heard. Peaceful...but danger still lurks behind those white curtains of clouds.

The same could be said for that day. Showers of petals danced and the white sleeves of her shrine outfit would sway in the same manner as the clouds that sailed on a quiet day. And she would stand still as if she was never affected nor touched by the aroma or the breeze.

At first, he thought it was nothing worth noting about that shrine maiden. To him, they were alike. He was a lad with a duty to the nation. She was a lass whose loyalty lies with the shrine. They were just doing their jobs.

So on the first day they came across one another, he merely walked past her as she watched the petals rain from the branches of the Thunder Sakura. Into the temple he walked in to discuss with the Guuji about cultural affairs. It was nothing new–just a job that needs doing.

He came across that shrine maiden once more when he visited the temple to pay respects on his parents' death anniversary. The shrine held a ceremony and she was the one who led the entire process.

That was the second time they crossed paths. Perhaps it was because he was not on duty, but he was more keen with his observations during the ceremony. Only then would that shrine maiden became curious in his eyes.

You see, that shrine maiden was no older than he was at the time. If he was a young lad, she was a blooming young girl preparing to be a lady. And it was a subject of intrigue–the shrine allowed a young maiden to lead a ceremony in the name of two important figures in Inazuman history.

Yet he did not find the peculiarity in this. She was impeccable with her manners, her conduct befitting that of the Guuji herself as she performed the ceremony without missing a beat in her movements nor a pause in her chants.

There was nothing wrong with that shrine maiden conducting a ceremony. But what happened after the ceremony... That was what made him curious.

When the guests dispersed and flowers were offered, he would also leave after whispering words of gratitude and solemnity. But just as he was about to cross the torii gate, he found that same shrine maiden standing before the Thunder Sakura like she did before.

He heard the skeptical whispers of his entourage during the ceremony and he could empathize with that shrine maiden. Simply because she was not old enough, she was undermined despite her flawless performance.

They were alike. He approached the shrine maiden in hopes of finding common grounds and to thank her for her efforts. But there was one thing about her that made him pause in his steps.

She was smiling. It was not a happy smile, nor was it fake. And that smile was on her face as her eyes traced the blue veins on the Thunder Sakura's wood.

He could not say what kind of smile it was, but there were things he could tell was on her face. When she smiled, there was respect in her eyes. She gazed at the Thunder Sakura with respect, as if admiring an artwork.