76: A Tragedy Bequeathed

"Why didn't you tell me you're going to die...?"

As soon as the words left Kaeya's lips, a grim realization hit Soleil. He knows about it, too.

"I didn't believe it at first. You were healthy. You look well. You didn't have any medical records either. How could someone like you ever fall ill?" Kaeya said and shook his head, "But the more I tried to assure myself, the more I felt uneasy."

"So what made you think I was going to die?" Soleil asked. "The Traveller. His Elemental Sight saw right through you," Kaeya said quietly, "He spoke of how much volatile energy circulates in your body and how dark it was."

Soleil pursed her lips. It seems she overlooked Aether's Elemental Sight. She could have seen this coming.

"It wasn't just him," Kaeya's gaze grew cold, "Even Albedo knew about it. He had many reports pointing to your terminal condition. How is it that I had to hear this from him and not you?"

Soleil did not answer and looked to the side evasively. Kaeya frowned, "Why won't you say anything?"

"What do you want me to say?" Soleil asked. "I want answers," Kaeya said angrily, "You promised you will tell me the truth so why didn't you tell me you're going to die?!"

"If I told you, will it change anything?" Soleil asked tiredly. "Gods damn it, Soleil!" Kaeya said exasperatingly, "Am I really that useless to you?"

Soleil only watched as Kaeya rub his creased temples. "Nothing will change even if I said anything. See? You know about it but the fact that my time is limited never changed," Soleil said indifferently.

"And that explains why Albedo knows more than I do, doesn't it?" Kaeya hissed sarcastically. He sighed and rubbed his face with his palms.

"I thought things were finally getting better. But I guess that's just wishful thinking," he said sadly, "I thought you trusted me, Soleil... I thought I had you."

"Oh, you had me, alright. You fooled me good, Kaeya," Soleil said coldly, "And trusting you? Please, I wouldn't do something so stupid. If there was anybody that was more capable than the gods when it comes to deception, it would be you."

"What are you playing at this time?" Kaeya frowned. He only felt more confused with Soleil's humorless laugh.

"Don't play dumb, captain. You know what I'm talking about," Soleil said, "How could I trust an agent of the Abyss Order with anything important? I'd trust the Fatui more. At least, they don't pretend to work with the good guys. Hmph."

"The...Abyss Order?" Kaeya asked doubtfully. "What? Am I wrong?" Soleil asked accusingly, "It was already bad enough that you decided to follow your father's schemes. But to think you'd also align yourself with the Abyss... You're just rotten to the core. It seems commitments are really not your thing."

Kaeya said nothing, but a grim look touched his face and his hands turned into fists. Soleil noticed this and sneered.

"What a hypocrite. This is why I wanted to leave sooner. All you do is ruin my plans," she said, "You just had to keep getting in my way, don't you?"

Kaeya hung his head low. Soleil crossed her arms with an unreadable expression.

"All I wanted is to resolve our past problems," Kaeya muttered, "I was willing to open up to you and tell you everything... So why couldn't you do the same?"

"That's the thing, isn't it? You've lived a life of lies and now, you wish to come clean?" Soleil tilted her head, "I can't help but feel dubious. Are you truly capable of such a thing?"