Part Two

3: You Owe Me A Fucking Raise

The ticking of the clock echoed in the murky depths of the seawater. Soleil drifted underwater with her eyes closed, and she counted in her head while tiny bubbles left her mouth and nose.

Five. Four. Three. Two. One.

The pocket watch from her waist began to light up. Soleil opened her eyes and summoned the core device of the Mermaid Mimic and latched it unto her chest.

A translucent Oceanid body encased Soleil's form. The water was ejected out of the Oceanid body, and Soleil breathed heavily to catch her breath.

"Good thing it's still working," she muttered. She then adjusted her body and dove deeper underwater, away from the raging surface water.

She snapped her pocket watch open. She has two hours at most. She ought to hurry and clear a few things up.

Several schools of angel fishes fled as Soleil's glowing Oceanid vessel sped by. She rotated the watch's outer ring, revealing a turquoise orb at the center.

A Teyvatan rune appeared on the orb. Soleil looked into the murky waters as she held the pocket watch before her lips, waiting for something.

"Come on, Luna," she muttered, waiting for the orb to blink with light.

However, she only heard static from the orb. Soleil's lips twisted in dismay before shutting her pocket watch. She picked her speed. Like a translucent bullet, she sped through the waters.

She kept a considerable distance under the water. Sure enough, she was able to pass through the storms untouched by going underwater. Instead of heading for Ritou, she headed northwest of Narukami Island.

Soleil landed on the northern shores of Araumi. Because it was full of ruins, there was no one to see her rise out of the water. The Mermaid Mimic dispelled, and she kept the device within Babylon.

She could hear the crickets amidst the slithering sounds of the rising tides. Soleil remembers the path vaguely, but her eyes were set on the distant peaks of Mt. Yougou.

She should be there. And I have to hurry, Soleil thought. Without waiting to dry herself, she made her way into the island, avoiding running into anyone as much as possible.

Nostalgia rushed into her mind as she breathed in the scent of tsubaki flowers and the familiar sceneries of Chinju Forest. When was the last time she stopped by Inazuma? Three years ago? It was only a quick visit, though.

But Soleil remembers things. She could remember the mischievous bake-danuki attempting to trick her and those wild foxes that always found a chance to cause some trouble for her.

Soleil took out her grappler gun and propelled herself up the hidden face of Mt. Yougou to speed her process. She easily snuck past the unknowing shrine maidens. Though her coat left tiny droplets of water, it was unseen.

Soleil was about to continue up the mountain to find the Narukami Shrine, but she paused when she found a familiar figure inside one of the caverns of Mt. Yougou.

Surrounded by glowing lights in the water and blooming lotuses, a masked silver-haired girl was busy polishing her slender bow with a cloth.

Soleil's coat fluttered as she landed before the cavern with the click of her heels. The masked girl looked up in alert until her coal grey eyes landed on Soleil.

"You sure took your time, didn't you?" she said, her eyes narrowing in irritation, "I've been stuck in this shrine for a month waiting. What is wrong with you?"