8: A Tendency For Bullying

She was innocent and oblivious to what has happened. At least, that was what he believed.

Both father and son thought of her as another one of theirs, separated from family and left to wander in the midst of chaos. She was sitting across them, unable to relax even when she was motionless. They meant no harm, but the same can't be said for the merciless environment caging them.

He can only look at her features and when he saw her brilliant, golden eyes, it was enough to make him conclude that she wasn't a part of them. But that didn't mean she wasn't going through the same thing he was.

"Here. You must be thirsty," the older man offered a pouch of water. The boy snapped his head to him in panic, as that was the only source of water they have, "Father!"

"It's fine. She needs it just as much as we do," the man raised a hand to stop his son and approached the girl, offering the pouch, "Take it."

She looked up with her radiant eyes, but the dull emotions in them was enough to scar its beauty. The man can't help but feel pity, as if he could empathize with what she may have gone through.

Wordlessly, she took the pouch with a hand and quietly took a sip. But only just a little as she glanced quickly at the boy opposite of her. The boy's eyes widened as he looked to the side with red ears, knowing she didn't drink much because of him.

She wiped her lips and looked down, unbothered when the man took back the pouch. Her fingers trembled and her lips quivered, mustering her voice to speak.

"How long...?"

"What?" the man asked the girl that wouldn't meet his gaze. "The Cataclysm..." she looked up with fierce tears soaking her eyes, "How long has it been? A year?"

"A year?" the man asked in disbelief. The boy looked back at the girl, frowning. Has she been sleeping under a rock?

"Two years...?" the girl asked, looking at them for answers. The man and his son exchanged looks before giving the girl equally solemn looks.

"It's been about 490 years since the Cataclysm, girl. Almost five hundred," the man answered, watching the girl's expression freeze in horror.

"This is what's left of the war that alchemist waged on the gods," the boy muttered bitterly with his fists clenched, "A reminder for humans to know their place and to never dream of anything else."

"No..."

The boy was taken aback when the girl dropped to her knees, shoulders trembling as she tried to stop shaky gasps from leaving her mouth.

"...Again... Happened again..." the girl whispered, grabbing the sides of her head, on the verge of a breakdown.

The same thing over and over... How many times must this madness continue? Is once not enough that it has to be a cycle?

Why?

Just why???!

Sensing the girl's turmoil, the boy left his father's side and knelt before her, grabbing her shoulders and lowering his head to look at her distraught face.

"Hey... Look here," he whispered soothingly. Hesitantly, the girl's wide eyes drifted to his. Gold clashed with lazuli, and his attempts to calm the girl down ensued.

"We're gonna get through this. We're alive, aren't we?" the boy asked gently, "We need to push forward. It's the only way out."

As if she had an epiphany, the girl stayed still. She hugged herself and closed her eyes shut. "Forward..." she said as she slowly looked down on the ground.