7: Yeah... I Don't Like You

"Ningguang knows about the transactions."

"Huh. Is that right?" Childe asked as he crossed his arms blandly, "How she knows after I caught you snooping around the ledgers the other day is really beyond me. Quite the mystery, no?"

He and Soleil watched as some servants placed some expensive dishes before them. Childe has been off to Snezhnaya in the past two days so when he came back, Soleil immediately blackmailed him to meeting her.

Much to his reluctance, he had to go. With the two of them dining in Xinyue Kiosk, they had intended to give off the pretense of two people out for a simple lunch date.

Who knew Soleil was going to drain Childe of his mora as soon as he arrived by ordering the most expensive delicacies?

"Please, as if I would snitch on you without reason. She already knew about it before I even came here to Liyue," Soleil snorted.

"Now that makes it more interesting. She knows yet does nothing about it. What is she up to?" Childe muttered with a frown.

"She's looking for a smokescreen. Your situation is the most suitable one since the bad blood between the Fatui and Qixing is both known by the public and the underground. No one would suspect anything else," Soleil shrugged.

"A smokescreen for what?" Childe asked. Soleil took a golden-coated shrimp and bit it, "I was hesitant to relay the info, but seeing as Ningguang knows about it, too, there's no use hiding it for leverage."

Childe tapped his forefinger against the table as he watched Soleil eat leisurely with a small frown. He waited a while until she finished the shrimp in her chopsticks.

He sighed impatiently. Knowing he was irked, Soleil smiled mischievously and decided to speak after cleaning the crumbs around her mouth.

"You know about how there are still more people able to hold illegal dealings without the Qixing knowing?" Soleil asked.

"Yeah. That is how we managed to get a supply of silver ore for manufacturing. What of it?" Childe asked. Soleil's eyebrows quirked.

"Huh. Well, apparently, someone is able to throw the Millelith's and Qixing's investigations to keep the black and grey markets going," Soleil said, "With that said, this certain someone is unknown even to Ningguang and finding information about them is proven difficult."

"A third party," Childe's dull, blue eyes widened in the slightest. "Yup. They are responsible for operations. It's quite intriguing, given that the Qixing already has full authority and control yet someone is still able to slither around the dark," Soleil mused.

"Indeed. This person seems formiddable. But even we don't know if it is just a person or a group in control. This is definitely new intel. Who knew someone was actually organizing it all?" Childe said. Then, his eyes widened.

"Wait a minute. If the Qixing already knows, then why are they still insisting it was us?! Every time a person is caught doing something fishy, their first suspect is always the Fatui," he frowned.

"Why am I not surprised?" Soleil deadpanned and sipped from her porcelain cup, "Anyway, it's like I said earlier. The Qixing needs somewhere to pin their initial suspicions so as not to alert the real deal. Of course, who fits the role of scapegoat better than the bad guys? Hehe."

"That Tianquan really is something," Childe said with a restrained and irritated smile, "I'll bet the Northland Bank she's doing it so she can bully me. Tsk!"

"You've brought this on yourself," Soleil snorted as she picked on another dish with her chopsticks, "Anyway, the good news is that they're just accusing you for cover. Ningguang doesn't think you're capable anyway."