35: I Had It Under Control

It was six in the morning when Diluc and Kaeya returned to Mondstadt. They headed towards the headquarters of the Knights of Favonius, despite Diluc's obvious reluctance, to make a report to Jean.

After that, they would look for Soleil. Diluc noticed Kaeya's subtle disbelief but also a sense of resolve. Almost as if Kaeya was expecting something but still couldn't believe he might be right.

"You can wait out here," Kaeya said after they climbed up the stairs towards the entrance.

"I'm not a stranger to this place, Kaeya," Diluc replied bitterly, "I still need that intel."

"I wasn't asking, Diluc," Kaeya side-glanced with a serious look, "Wait out here. We'll both question Soleil after I'm done with the reports."

"Don't play around. You're just trying to be discrete with her possible involvement," Diluc said. Kaeya briefly glared before walking up the stairs and into the headquarters.

Diluc looked at the two knights that never left their post. He scoffed and went to the courtyard. What is wrong with that blue scoundrel?

Kaeya entered Jean's office but found the place empty. Usually, Jean would go to the headquarters as early as five. She wasn't there that morning and it made Kaeya curious.

He searched throughout the facilities but didn't find the people he need. Kaeya pondered for a bit.

Odd. Where could have Jean went if she wasn't in the headquarters?

He walked past the confinement room and heard faint voices from the inside it. He slowed his footsteps. Klee was still in the confinement room?

Kaeya put his ear closer to the door. When he couldn't discern the voices, he clicked the door open and looked inside.

Klee was sleeping on the floor like a little fuzzy bunny, making cute and small snores. She was snuggled up close towards Soleil, lying against her chest and curling up her tiny fists like a little baby.

Soleil, in turn, was stroking Klee's hair gently. "Dodoco..." Klee mumbled and burried her head into Soleil's chest sleepily, "I miss mommy..."

"I know, fluff. But get some sleep. You played a lot today," Soleil said softly. "Mm," Klee nodded, "Let's play...again tomorrow..."

Her tiny body relaxed under Soleil's careful pats and she completely fell asleep. Soleil looked down on her face. Klee was like a little puppy. Soleil couldn't help but feel warm.

Soleil smiled with affection before gently moving Klee to the couch, where softer cushions were. She pulled a blanket over Klee and watched the little girl turn in her sleep.

Kaeya leaned against the doorframe, watching Soleil pick up the brown backpack and Klee's hat and placing it on the table. Some other things they used to play were on the ground and Kaeya swore most of them were pricy relics and artefacts.

Soleil noticed Kaeya looking at Klee's 'toys' with a conflicted face. "I know. The little bunny doesn't even know she's playing with artefacts," she giggled while picking up a silver cup embedded with gems.

From looking at its artistic craftsmanship, it was obviously not a simple cup and held monetary value. Still, Klee just poured some drinks into it earlier like it was nothing.

Klee also tampered with some rare-looking timepieces and some feathery headpieces in their little game. Soleil was concerned but she still played along with the kid.

"Klee got bored and decided to play with her 'treasures'. Honestly, at this rate, the Treasure Hoarders will have to disband. Klee would have snatched up all the treasures she could find," Soleil smiled warmly.