30: Santa's Gonna Be Upset

Soleil snuck out of her window, careful not to make too much noise in the process.

Seeing the stillness of her dimly lit surroundings, she jumped out and sped off into the streets illuminated by moonlight, avoiding the knights on patrol as she did.

Soleil felt her heartbeat quicken as she jumped from roof to roof. Her cloak fluttered in the breeze, hiding away her face and body. She headed for destination, stopping for nothing and no one.

She felt her blood rush through her body with thrill. It's been a long while since she went on a solo mission.

She always worked on her own and there is that feeling you get when you take care of things without anyone's help and without anyone knowing.

The feeling of being one step ahead always made Soleil feel like she was in-charge of the world. That night felt exactly like that.

The wolves howled and crickets chirped as Soleil sped across the forests in the south. Quick and quiet, she eradicated a few slimes that got in her way with a slice of Aurora's blade.

Her heels clicked against the ground as she raced past the camp. She crossed over without a hitch and made her way closer to Dragonspine.

The closer she got, the colder she felt. Her breaths created visible puffs in the chilly air. She looked up at the snow-buried mountain. It looked more daunting in the night.

Soleil remembered Venti's words and the scriptures she found about Dragonspine's former inhabitants. Without a doubt, there will be more secrets within.

She will investigate more about Sal Vindagnyr and its history when the time comes. But that night, she had other business to attend to.

Soleil breathed into her gloved hands before stuffing it into her pockets under the cloak.

"Glad I came prepared," she whispered and pressed forward, the snow crunching underneath her boots.

She had swapped her lab coat for a fur-rimmed one but still wore a dark cloak for cover. She had enough Pyro and Electro Loads inside her pouches but also had an asssorted set of the other elements. Since she was alone, she didn't bother wearing her fake Vision.

She also brought a modified grappler and other things she would need for the night's adventure. All she needed was motivation to press on despite the sheer temperature trying to slow her down.

The wooden bridges creaked under Soleil's steps. And seeing it was a little bit loose, Soleil had little faith it would hold out. So she hurried across and traversed the snowy terrains.

She had been walking until she ended up in the depths of Wyrmrest Valley. Soleil climbed up a few times before resting. She panted slightly and exhaled into her hands for warmth.

Soleil stared at the snow before taking out a medium-sized tube, scooping the snow and corked it shut.

The snow never melts in Dragonspine. Soleil thought of a few things that may have use for this special snow.

Just as she placed the tube away, the pouch on the side of her hip buzzed slightly. It was so quiet that even the muffled beeps of a stored device would be heard from a distance.

Soleil took opened the pouch and took out a fist-sized compass. Well, it looked like a compass with its shape, but the glass was dark.

It emitted a few beeps that was in sync with the lines being etched on it. Soleil noticed the graphs it made and when it spiked upward, her brows furrowed.

"That's a lot of them," she said and looked around. She snapped the compass-like device and whipped out her black notebook.

She removed the quill latched unto its spine and wrote on a page. Unlike her habit of writing in ciphers, she used the common language and wrote 'Traces found in Wyrmrest Valley'.