17: Something Like A Story

Books, scrolls, and calligraphy brushes sprawled on a table at the very end of Wanwen Bookhouse.

In the midst of piled books sat Soleil. She was leaning her head against her palm as she flipped through some books. Her gaze was so intent, it could have set the pages on fire.

Xingqiu was a few meters away from her table. He scoured through the shelves he had known by heart and occasionally skimmed a few books. He would then take them back to Soleil and carefully place it in a towering pile of books.

The last time Soleil dealt with a dozen books at a time was when Cyno forced her to study for an exam she wasn't fond of doing.

She had been skipping on so many classes in a particular semester that she had no choice but to ingest the notes and books Cyno had tailored for her convenience.

Soleil smiled inwardly. He had made her study all those material yet when she pulled an all-nighter and nearly caught a cold, he got so angry he ignored her for the rest of the week. She could never tell what went inside that guy's mind.

A sense of longing settled in her mind. She looked up at the sunny skies. What were her precious study buddies doing now, she wonders?

She took a moment to clear her thoughts and went back to reading her current book. She skimmed through the passages skillfully before flipping unto the next page.

Xingqiu sat on a chair opposite to Soleil, picking up the books and read it. He had grown curious to see most of the books were about Rex Lapis and his many feats and stories.

He was astonished. Soleil wasn't the type to revere Celestia and its gods. What sparked her interest in the late Lord of Geo?

Xingqiu couldn't ask. Soleil spent the entire afternoon reading and skimming through the books. She had unintentionally shut everything and everyone out due to her focused reading.

But Xingqiu didn't mind. He had also spent his time reading the books Soleil finished in an attempt to understand what she was after. But just as he expected, he couldn't catch wind of the mysterious girl's objectives.

The sun had already made its usual, arching route across the skies. It was already late in the afternoon when Soleil finished the last book in her sixth pile of books.

But instead of feeling relieved, her eyebrows furrowed in displeasure. Xingqiu stopped by with a tray with two teacups and a teapot steaming with fresh rose tea.

He saw Soleil's frown. "You seem upset," he commented and placed the tray down, "Didn't find what you were looking for?"

"Nope. Not a single bit," Soleil said and racked her fingertips against the table, "I'm starting to hate how I am already expecting this. Tsk, I was already expecting it yet I still did it with the slightest hope I'd find something. Funny, huh?"

"You couldn't have possibly predicted it either way. You would need to see it to confirm it yourself," Xingqiu shrugged. He poured the tea unto their cups with obvious grace.

"Thanks. When you put it that way, I feel less like an idiot," Soleil said jokingly and took her teacup.

She winced at the heat but eventually got used to it. Soon, she felt the subtle taste of the tea in her tongue. Xingqiu sipped his cup and looked at the books.

"All of this is about the Geo Archon's endeavors. Oh? Some of them even date back to a few millennia ago," Xingqiu said as he gently pinched a page, "What are you looking for?"

"Eh... It's classified. I can't tell you," Soleil said apologetically. It might put you in danger.

"Understood. I won't pry," Xingqiu nodded and sat straight, "But could it be so complex that you find it so difficult?"