9: Almost Had It

Soleil spent some time staring at the sea from the south wharf, leaning against the wooden railings as seagulls flew above her and joined the salty wind breeze.

Her coat fluttered to the wind currents with her hair, already medium length, following suit. Soleil enjoyed the silence until she heard the wooden planks creak along with a small yawn.

Soleil side-glanced before turning, finding Keqing as she stretched her arms up and made a short grunt.

"Ah! Finally done!" Keqing said and smiled at Soleil, "Did you wait long?"

"Just a bit. I like being idle," Soleil shrugged. "Well, I don't. Come on, let's go back. I'm famished," Keqing gestured with a hand.

"Workaholic," Soleil mumbled before following Keqing. Keqing heard her and only snorted.

"Are you already done with your things here?" Soleil asked. "Yep. I decided to finish this week's agenda today so I can start with the ones for next week," Keqing replied.

"Yep. A real workaholic," Soleil said. "Hmph. You don't have it any easier," Keqing said, "As the Qixing's advisor, you must show up during schedules and comply once summoned. You can't sweet talk your way out of duty like I know you would."

"Hehe. You know me too well," Soleil giggled. "We've been friends for a while now. I am bound to pick up your quirks," Keqing said with an amused smile.

Their friendship had an eccentric beginning. Keqing already had a sense of skepticism towards all things divine and spoke strongly about her opinions that humans are capable without Rex Lapis' guidance.

That was back then. But while most people disregarded her claims, Soleil was one of the very few who accept and synchronize with her beliefs.

Keqing did not know much about Soleil when she was first invited into Liyue for the first time. All she knew was that Ningguang invited her to discuss investments for one of Soleil's projects.

Soleil and Ningguang were very much alike in terms of work ethic and got along well. To Keqing, it seems Soleil was another businesswoman in a lab coat.

But when Soleil approached Keqing, the switch flipped immediately. Both of them could remember. Soleil had walked out of the Jade Chamber's terrace when she saw Keqing staring down.

"The Yuheng of the Qixing," Soleil had spoken to get the violet girl's attention and successfully made her turn.

"Yes? What is it?" Keqing asked. Soleil smiled, "I've heard much about you. Frankly, I find your secular attitude very novel. I'm surprised they would let someone of your demeanor into the Qixing, who are comprised of individuals who aim to serve Rex Lapis' way of governance."

"I don't intend to be like them, either. The reason I am part of the Qixing is because I wish to serve Liyue–not Rex Lapis or any other divine entity," Keqing said.

"I could tell. But to see you very open with the lack of respect..." Soleil giggled, "It's quite amusing. You really aren't like the rest."

"Say what you wish. This isn't the first time I have been questioned. Though, most have decided to go through hushed whispers instead of telling that to me directly," Keqing placed a hand on her hip, "Even if you dislike me, I can't be bothered."

"On the contrary, actually. I find you very interesting. It's not often we find a person like you, especially in this land where Morax governs personally," Soleil glanced at the skies, "It's as you said: people can stand even without the need for Archons. We can think for ourselves and the chamber we stand were built by human hands, no?"