28: I Mean... They Tried

Start from the beginning

"I can see why. With an element so potent, it will have to be continuously moving and hard to contain," Kaeya speculated, "So instead of trying to tame the energy, the pin was made to direct the energy into moving in a desired way instead."

"That is correct. It is almost impossible to tamper with the flow. No matter how much you shake it, the flow is never disturbed. With how the head of the pin is designed, I can speculate that there are two ways to disrupt the flow: one is that it is triggered with a detonator. The other is that a form of elemental energy makes contact with the pin," Sucrose explained.

The trigger and the ammunition, Kaeya thought. "Haha... Isn't it a fascinating tool?" he smiled at Sucrose.

"It truly is! I can only wonder what is inside the pin that can withstand the potent Electro and prevent it from combusting on the spot," Sucrose said with a thoughtful squint of her eyes.

"Oh? Were you not able to look into its interiors?" Kaeya asked.

"N-No..." Sucrose looked down and fidgeted, "The pin seems to have a mechanism that will cause the pin to immediately detonate if someone tried to dissect it. I suspect it is a way to prevent seeking eyes to figure the secrets of its production."

"Hm... Is that why you don't have the pin with you?" Kaeya asked. Sucrose sighed and nodded, "I'm sorry... It was destroyed after detonation."

"Well, that couldn't be a good thing. Are you hurt?" Kaeya asked. "I am fine. Thank you for your concern," Sucrose said softly.

"That's good. The pin doesn't really matter compared to your safety. I am glad you are fine," Kaeya said.

A burst of that needle is enough to medium-roast all of the fowls in the forest.

Sucrose fidgeted nervously, causing Kaeya to look at her with a curious gaze.

"Sucrose," he called and linked his hands together, "Is there something you want to tell me?"

Sucrose flinched at this like a startled mouse. Then, she slowly nodded like a guilty child ready to be reprimanded.

"It... It was mister Albedo..." she said timidly, "He was in the middle of examination when the pin exploded."

"Ah, so it was Albedo who was tampering with the pin," Kaeya leaned back, a look of clarification on his face. Sucrose squeaked and put her hands together above her head.

"I'm sorry! I tried to keep it away from him, but mister Albedo was persistent! He eventually took interest in its design and began his own investigation. I couldn't stop him," the mint-haired girl said helplessly.

Kaeya sighed, "It's alright. No need to fuss over it. I suppose it is thanks to him you made some discoveries." "Yes," Sucrose nodded.

Kaeya crossed his arms. It seems that those two are eventually going to meet. He should have seen this coming when he entrusted Sucrose to study the pin.

"Mister Kaeya..." Sucrose's voice snapped the man out of his thoughts. "What is it?" Kaeya asked.

"I'm just curious, but where did you get the pin from?" Sucrose asked.

"Oh? Haha... You really are curious," Kaeya chuckled.

"This pin was made with a kind of technology even mister Albedo took time figuring out," Sucrose spoke, "Whoever made the pin must be formiddable and dangerous."

"You are right with that one," Kaeya stood up and flipped through the reports while walking, "The pin I gave to you was the reason why the knights had to investigate the condensing energy in the ruins."