Chapter 272

10 minutes later, downstairs in Matt's Office:
Jay's POV: As I stood there with Antonio (and my service dog Champ), I smiled as I talked to Erin quickly. "Yeah, I promise that I am on my way home right after. Remember, Voight said that I could work from home if I am not needed in the field...okay, love you too babe." I then went to hang up and looked at Antonio. "Erin nervous?" I nodded and sighed when he said that. "Probably almost as nervous as Gabby is when it comes to Matt possibly catching this." Antonio laughed when I said that. "While also being worried about him coming home after every call." I nodded and agreed with him.

That's when Matt came downstairs. "Glad you could come. And boy and I glad they sent you guys, you are the two safest officers." Antonio nodded and agreed with him. "I made sure to tell the CPD to always send me and Jay if you need to talk to someone here. What's if so many people being here?" Matt sighed when he asked him that. "It's my first day. Wanted all 3 shifts here on my first day and let's just say it's...stressful." I nodded when he said that. "What's Severide's problem?" Matt sighed. "I demoted him from senior Lieutenant on Squad."

Antonio then got nervous when Matt said that. "He okay?" Matt shook his head when Severide walked over to his office. "You still shouldn't have done that." Matt then looked at him. "That's strike 2 lieutenant! One more and you are home for the rest of shift. Is that understood? Actually, go home. Come back tomorrow when you have a change in attitude and remember who your boss is. You are dismissed." Severide then looked at him when he said that. "What?" Matt nodded. "You are dismissed. You have not learned that I am chief, dismissed Severide."

Severide then nodded and just went to walk away. "Stella..." Matt then went to sit down. "Is staying on shift. You and your squad crew are the only ones leaving. Please return tomorrow morning for the next part of your shift." Severide then sighed when he said that. "Wow, that was harsh." Matt nodded when I said that. "Yeah, he needs to learn that there is a new boss in town." I nodded when he said that. "So, what can I do for you guys?" Antonio then looked at him. "We are going to be your Liaisons to the CPD since you are the chief here. I spoke to CPD."

Matt nodded when Antonio said that. "Okay, reason for visit." I then sighed. "We are investigating the cause of the Union Station fire. The CPD and CFD are taking a joint look at this case. I would like to see your reports when they are ready." Matt sighed when I said that. "We are actually not doing reports for each fire anymore. We are just reporting miles and times on each fire. It's too hard to explain. We haven't done that in a while." I nodded and agreed. "Then we will just want it for this fire. Maybe you can get Lt. Severide to give us a report."

Antonio laughed when I said that. "Not the best idea when he is not in the best place with his Chief. He might make it look like Matt made mistakes. I would prefer to get it from your most senior officer." Matt sighed when he said that. "Listen, how about you guys speak to all of my guys? That way, you guys can get a recollection from each truck?" I sighed when he said that. "That would take too long and I am already nervous just being here." Matt nodded and understood. "Then yeah, I will get the reports. The fire marshal will also do it."

I then realized that. "Right, they are going to do an investigation too." Matt nodded and smiled at me. "What do you say you just wait until they give you the report? Once you have the report...you can come back here and get some information." We all agreed and nodded. "You know how to contact us if you think of anything important of course." Matt nodded and agreed with me. "Listen, I will give you the quick notes I took okay? I just remembered that I drew where all the trucks were in case I needed to tell people that." Matt then went to look in his pockets.

"Here are where the trucks were located. 81, 51 and 3 are my trucks. Chief Patterson from Firehouse 90 was also on scene and he will be sending the report to me. I will forward it to you when I get it. I was in command at the scene." Antonio smiled when he said that. "First big fire on your first day as chief. Must've been exciting." Matt nodded when Antonio said that. "And exhausting. Honestly, if you don't mind me...I am going to the apartment to get some rest while we are on break." Antonio nodded and smiled. "Can I come up and see the family?"

Matt nodded and smiled when he said that. "I am sure that Gabby would love to see you. And I would like to just say...you don't lie to me when it comes to my sister." Antonio gulped when he said that and nodded. "Listen, I will talk to you later okay Antonio?" Antonio nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "Say hi to Erin and to feel better, I am sure she had morning sickness." I nodded and sighed. "Thanks and same to you guys. Our wishes to you both." Matt nodded when he said that, leading Antonio upstairs to see Gabby. Meanwhile, I went to grab my ESD Champ so that I could go home to Erin.

Note: Effective immediately, this story is a majority Dawsey story with occasional glimpses into Linstead's life as future parents and an engaged couple. Please continue to enjoy.