Chapter 118

Blake Gallo's POV: As I stood at the door of my former fire captain's apartment, I had mixed feelings about helping him pack up. As my mentor, I was going to miss him. But, I knew this was the best thing for him and Gabby. I was so happy that they were going to be parents (to triplets) and I knew that Matt was going to be a great dad. That's when I heard Matt open the door. "Gallo." I smiled at him. "I see that I am the first one here." Matt then went to scratch the back of his neck. "We weren't expecting anybody until after noon." I nodded and sighed. "If you want, I can come back." Matt shook his head. "Of course not, come on in...the more help the better."

I smiled and nodded. "Think I can see Gabby for a bit? I know I don't know her much and only saw her really when she was at the house a few times but...I still feel like I know her somewhat from all the stories that I've heard at the firehouse about her. Is it weird that I am going to miss her too along with you?" Matt nodded and smiled when I said that. "Of course. She's family remember? And even if she wasn't physically there while you were there...she was there. She was in my heart." I smiled when he said that. "By the way, thanks so much for taking me under your wing. I appreciated it. Do you mind if I still call you sometimes if I need advice?"

Matt looked at me and smiled. "Listen, I am going to say something to you that I tell all of my former candidates...you may be a full firefighter now but, there is always room for improvement and mentoring. If you have questions for me, send me a text and I will call you when I have a chance. I am always going to be here to help you Gallo. Remember, I personally brought you to firehouse 51 because I saw potential in you. Just promise you aren't going to get sucked in by Severide's spell on some of my former candidates....making them switch to Squad when they are done." I laughed when he said that and nodded. "Sure, we getting to work now?"

Matt smiled when I said that. "Sure, how about you come help me in the kitchen? We have to pack up my wedding china." I then stared at him. "You're kidding right?" Matt then laughed and smiled. "C'mon Gallo, I am going to treat you like I would one of my friends now. I don't work at the firehouse anymore." I agreed and smiled when he said that. "Does that mean I can speak frankly and ask you questions that maybe I felt scared to ask about while I was a candidate?" Matt nodded and agreed. "Of course, go ahead." I smiled when he said that. "So, what's it like...the whole leaving 51. Are you having mixed feelings about it?"

Matt sighed when I asked him that. That's when Gabby spoke up from the couch. "I wouldn't mind hearing about that." Matt then turned to look at the both of us. "Okay, so to answer it honestly...I am having mixed feelings. But mostly positive. First of all, I know it's the right thing to do for us but...not just because I Know it'll help you. It's also for a personal reason. Gabby, it's no secret that Chicago is one of the worst cities for gun violence. And with our children's racial makeup being an unknown....I am just a bit worried. What if they look more Hispanic than white? Does that mean they have a worse chance when it comes to them being hurt?"

Gabby then looked at Matt when he said that and then went to rub her stomach. "I didn't even think of that." Matt sighed and then looked at me, helping me with the plates. "Gabby, can we just talk or do you need me there?" Gabby shook her head when he asked her that. "I am fine Matt. Stella just got here." Stella and Severide walked into the apartment right when Gabby said that. "Okay, how did he beat us here when we live here?" I laughed when Stella said that. "Because I ate at the firehouse and then came here. I know you guys are mostly going to want to talk so...I thought that I would try and be here a bit early so that I could get a bit of one-on-one time with my mentor." Severide nodded and agreed with me.

"That's fine Gallo. Just keep it down. We are going to sleep for a bit longer. Gabby, wake us up when everybody is going to come?" Gabby then looked at him when he said that. "Yeah, ask the woman pregnant with triplets to do that! Maybe I am going to take a nap too." Matt then looked at Gabby and Severide. "Severide, get your ass out here and help. You aren't going to sleep...you are going to make out with Stella. I am not ready to hear that. Plus, we are not going to have that much more quality time together. So take a shower, get changed and get out here." Severide sighed and agreed. "Or else I tell Boden to tear up the letter I wrote recommending you for captain!"

Gabby turned to look at Matt when he said that. "You put Severide up for Captain?" Matt nodded and smiled. "What? I want my friend to take his rightful place as captain before I leave. That and I want to bribe him. Make sure he comes down to see his nieces and nephews." Severide nodded and agreed. "Believe me, I will. But first, can I talk to you in your room after I get changed?" Matt then turned to look at me. "Would you mind continuing?" I then shook my head. "Can I use the washroom first?" Matt nodded and smiled as he looked at me. "Severide, me and Gabby's room when you're changed. Gallo, go use the washroom." I nodded and agreed with him. Meanwhile, Matt and Severide walked into their bedroom.

"Oh by the way Gabby, come here." Gabby was confused when I said that. She then got up and looked at me. "Congratulations. I haven't said that to you yet. I have only said it to Matt." Going to hug her, I smiled at her. "Do you feel ready to have kids?" Gabby sighed and shook her head. "We still need to get ourselves set up in the Bahamas. So, that's different. Listen, I am sorry I am stealing your mentor from you." I then went to stop her. "Hey, stop that. I don't care about that! Gabby, Matt and you have always wanted this. I get I never worked with you but...I still feel like I know you because you are an integral part of the Firehouse 51 family. You're my sister."

Gabby smiled when I said that. "Okay, remind me how in the world you are still single! You are smooth Gallo." I laughed when she said that. "I have my eye on somebody. I am just scared to approach her. You think that maybe I can ask you about it? I mean, you are a woman and you worked at the firehouse. She's also a paramedic so...you might think alike." Gabby laughed and agreed with me as we went to sit on her couch so that we could talk about how I might approach things with Violet. We're in this on-off relationship. I think we are off but...I can never tell." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Oh my god, you are so funny...that is how me and Matt started."

I then got scared when she said that. "Oh god. I am not sure if I am ready to have triplets in the future." Gabby then shook her head. "Just relax. Listen, here's what you do...just get to know her and earn her trust. She already trusts you to protect her life as a firefighter but...she needs to know she can trust you with her heart. Take things slow. I always rushed things when I started my relationships and it caused fights. If I could go back, I am not sure I would change anything but...maybe I would do stuff slower." I laughed when she said that. "Be honest, you wouldn't. You guys are crazy for each other. You guys are older than me and still all over each other."

Gabby smiled when I said that and blushed. "Yeah, but that's us. That's another thing...don't assume how she wants to be treated. Ask her and make sure that you go her pace. Don't push things on her. I did that with Matt and it almost ruined us. At least not this time around." I nodded and understood what she meant. "Thanks for your help Gabby. Now, I am going to go to the washroom and then I am going to go back to the kitchen. You just rest." Gabby nodded and agreed when I said that, giving me a quick hug. I then got up and went to the washroom so I could help them pack up.