Chapter 264

Matt's POV: After coming downstairs to the briefing room, I saw everybody standing there and trying to socialize. I then started to hear some complaining that there was no chairs and just laughed. "Yes, because that was planned." Everybody then shut up and turned to look at me. "Chief." I nodded and agreed with them. "Yes, that's right. The new Chief is in the building. Now listen, I am just going to say this...of course we are all going to miss Boden, and we all sad that he is gone. But, we are Firehouse 51 and we are stronger than this. We've gotten through Shay's death, Ottis' death and Andy's death together and we will go through Boden's death together."

Everybody nodded and agreed with me. "Now, I get that you are all wondering why I have asked all 3 shifts to work together today. We are doing it because I want you all to work together so that I can see all of you in action. And don't worry, you all get your own trucks. That means each squad, tuck, engine and ambo team gets to work together. However, it also means that we are able to go on three times the amounts of calls if required." Everybody groaned when I said that. "Just to let you know, I haven't decided which crew is on bathroom duty for the shift. Would you like it to make it one entire shift per day?" 

Everybody shut up when I said that. "However, I have decided which officers are going to be in charge when it comes to Seniority. I am sorry to every but...my scene commanders will be Lieutenants Hermann, Severide and Kidd. But, you will still be in charge of your own trucks." Lt. French, Engine 51 then raised her hand. "Yes Abigail?" She then looked at me. "So, who is scene commander?" I then sighed. "The most senior officer based on years of service. However, if I am on scene...it will be Lt. Hermann, Severide and Kidd since they are the ones I have worked with as captains. The exception is if you take another side of the building."

Everybody nodded and agreed. "And Squad trucks will of course be independent of each other. You all go in and search. Truck and Engines will get ready to fight the fires." We all nodded when I said that because it just made sense. Why send in 9 groups of people when we have 3 squads (who are specifically trained to do search and rescue). "However, you are to work in co-operation. Or actually, let's do this...first truck on scene gets to be scene commander. But, I get to override all of your decisions as chief." Everybody laughed and agreed.

I then went to tell them the second part of the day. "However, we are not going to be all sitting in here. Just to let you all know, today is our first drill day of the year. I want to see you all drilling when we are not on calls. I have already asked that all vehicles be parked in the driveway for a reason. I like seing the Squad trucks together, the Engines together, the Ambos together and the Trucks together...very smart. By the way, Ambulances only go out on one call. I have already told them that they can give us 3 consecutive calls before we are done."

Everybody nodded when I said that. That's when the bells went off. "AMBO 61..." Pointing at Sylvie and Foster, they nodded before going to leave. "Sorry, they are 1st shift. You go by order of shift on calls." Everybody nodded and smiled. "Okay, now let's get to work and do some drills everybody." Everybody nodded and agreed as we all went up so that we could get to work in the garage and driveway. That's when Severide walked up to me. "What have you gotten us into?" I laughed when he said that. "Dude, you are going to have more hands. It'll help us...and me."

Severide nodded when I said that. "As long as I get the prorogative to send one of my men home if I feel like they are overworked." I nodded when he said that. "Don't worry, I just want to see everybody at work." Severide smiled when I said that. "You could just institute 8 hour rotations?" I shook my head. "Nope, there's another reason for us doing this today." Severide was confused when I said that until he remembered what today was going to be. There was going to be a huge snowstorm here in Chicago again and we needed all hands on deck.

He just laughed and shook his head when I said that. "Then I guess this was a good idea. Now, let's get to work. Just curious...do Lieutenants need to drill too?" I shook my head. "Nope, that's the benefit of being a leader." He laughed and agreed with me when I said that, following me out onto the main floor so that we could get work on doing some drills with the entire firehouse.