Chapter 142

Matt's POV: Once Gabby fell asleep again, I just smiled as I went to kiss her forehead and held her in my arms. I was torn between leaving bed and going to sit out in the living room or just staying there and holding her in my arms. Kissing the top of her head while rubbing her back and checking my CFD e-mails to catch up on reports (Boden e-mailed me and reinstated me as Captain retroactively from the day I resigned so...I had some reports to work on). I am just glad that someone convinced him to go digital now. This is much easier to read. That's when I got a new e-mail from Boden. Opening it, I smiled as I went to read it.

E-mail
From: Boden, Wallace
To: Firehouse 51 Staff
Subject: Captain Casey

Dear colleagues and staff, it is with great pleasure that I am announcing that Captain Casey has re-considered his decision to leave us to go to the Dominican Republic. He has just asked me to retract his resignation and I have gladly accepted his request to do so. This means that effective immediately, he has been re-instated as Captain on Truck 81. I would like to also announce that Stella has passed her Lieutenant's exam and has agreed to be come co-Lieutenant under Captain Casey. On another note, there will be a change when he comes back.

As he and Gabby are expecting triplets....they have asked me to allow Matt to act as Captain from outside with me. So, when we are on scene...he is either going to act as scene commander (if I decide not to go) or he is going to act as assistant scene commander for Truck and Engine only. In his place, I would like to ask Hermann to be his eyes and ears in the building. You shall report to Casey and he will make the calls from the outside just like me. Thank you and have a good day. See you all tomorrow for a staff meeting first thing to speak about this.

Wallace Boden
Battalion Chief, Firehouse 51

After reading the e-mail, I smiled considering this was exactly what me and Gabby wanted. He understood exactly what we meant when we said that we wanted to keep me safe and I was hoping that everybody else was going to understand. Even better, I was going to be able to mentor Gallo one-on-one. Speaking of Gallo, he must've just read the e-mail because that was home on the line. Going to look at Gabby as my phone rang, I went to kiss her forehead. "I am going to take this in the living room. Sorry for walking you up." Gabby nodded and agreed.

"Can you just stay out there for the afternoon until I wake up? I will come out when I am done. I know you want to lay down here with me but..." I then stopped her by leaning down to kiss her softly. "You do not have to explain. I understand Gabby and I promise that I am going to relax out there. Come see me when you are awake." Gabby nodded and smiled as she put her hand on my cheek. Kissing me slowly, I smiled at her. "Unless you would rather do something a bit more intimate to celebrate my return to Firehouse 51?" 

Gabby smirked when I said that. "Have anything in mind?" I nodded and then went to go take off my shirt because I knew exactly what she wanted right now. She wanted me in bed. Throwing my shirt to the side, I smirked as I went to take off my jeans as well. "We just kissing or are you thinking..." Gabby then looked at me. "No sex, you have work tomorrow." I nodded and agreed with her before going to take off my pants for her. "You say that now though." Gabby laughed and smiled when I said that. "That's very true." Putting my pants to the side, I went to get back in bed with her and put my hand on her stomach.

Gabby then went to grab my neck and smirked as she slipped close to me and slipped her legs in between mine. "I love you and I am so proud that you found a way to do everything you want in life. You get to be my husband, our children's father and the best damn Fire Captain in Chicago." I smiled when she said that. "It's the best possible outcome in my opinion." I then went to kiss her softly and just smiled as we took it slow with each other that morning.