Can I Un-Resign?

Matt's POV: After calling Boden, I really hoped that he would answer so that we can get this sorted out. I might even tell him about my dream. "I might tell him about the dream that made me rethink my decision. What do you think?" Gabby nodded and smiled. "I think you should. That might make him understand that this isn't just a whim or being scared...it's because it was faith. Maybe this is our path babe." I nodded and agreed with her when I heard Chief. "Chief, how are you this morning." Boden then smiled. "Good, you need more help packing today?"

I then cleared my throat and went to put the phone on speaker. "Sorry chief, just putting you on speaker. Gabby's here." Gabby then smiled. "Hi chief." Boden liked the sound of her voice. "Hi Gabby, how can we help you guys today?" I then sighed. "Chief, I know that this is going to sound out of the blue but...I want you to hear me out. I was wondering if it's too late to take back my resignation?" Boden seemed shocked when I said that. "Woah, I thought you guys were moving to the Bahamas? What changed your mind?" I sighed. "I had a dream last night."

Chief laughed a bit when he realized that I was being serious. "Oh, you are being serious." I agreed. "Yeah. It was about the future. It was of me being Chief of Firehouse 51, our son Matt Casey Jr being the candidate at Firehouse 90, our daughter Emma being the candidate at Firehouse 51, our other son Andrew being a paramedic with Gabby as PIC and me...being Chief of Firehouse 51." Gabby then added on. "And by the way Chief, me and Matt did already talk about this so...I am well aware that this is something he is thinking about."

Chief understood. "To be honest, I've been waiting for this call."  We both looked at each other when he said that. "You have?" Boden laughed. "Of course I do. Matt, firefighting is in your blood." I agreed with him. "I might do less of the fighting though...if I stay on, I need to stay safe. So, I was hoping that maybe I could do something like what you do?" Chief seemed confused when I said that. "What do you mean?" I sighed and then explained. "You don't go into the fires. Would it be possible if I stay outside and command my crew from the outside?"

That's when I heard Severide at the door. "Sorry guys, just some toast for breakfast today." We both nodded when he said that. "Thanks Severide." Severide then brought the plates over. "Hi Chief." Chief laughed when he said that. "Hello Lieutenant, maybe Captain-to-be. You decide yet?" Severide then laughed. "Would it be possible to do that? Have two Captains at Firehouse 51?" Boden agreed. "I don't see why not. Plus, you deserve it Severide. Would give me more room for more candidates." I agreed with him when he said that. 

Starting to eat breakfast, Gabby smiled. "Okay, now before we get distracted...can you answer the question chief? Could he command his truck and engine from the outside like you?" Severide then looked at us. "Really?" I sighed and nodded. "Yeah, need to stay safe for the triplets." Severide nodded when I said that and smiled. "People are going to be so happy if you are staying." I then went to ask something. "Happy enough to help us unpack?" He smiled when I said that. "Of course but...only what you need here. You are still moving out of the apartment."

Gabby nodded. "Believe me, we are still moving. Remember, triplets. We need a 4 bedroom home." We all nodded when he said that and so did chief. "So, are you going to come in next shift Matt? Or do I need to still have Hermann as interim Captain?" I turned to look at Gabby and smiled. "I can come in because Gabby is coming in like she did last time." Chief agreed. "I'll talk to OFI and try and get you a job there that you can work here at the firehouse again okay Gabby?" Gabby smiled when he said that. "Thanks chief. You are such a great help."

I then went to kiss her head. "Listen Chief, we'll see you next shift. I am going to call Hermann to let him know though. In fact, can you call a meeting for our shift at the firehouse? I want to tell them all in person. And I'll pick up some of my outfits. I still have one." He agreed and smiled. "That sounds great. What do you say we have lunch at the firehouse and celebrate you staying. I want to talk to Gabby anyways." Gabby was confused. "Why exactly?" Boden then told her to relax. "Relax Gabby, I want to talk about your future here." She understood.

"Okay chief. Thanks again....see you soon. Now listen, I am going to eat breakfast. See you at lunch." We all agreed when I said that, ending the call so that we can eat breakfast.