Chapter 185

Matt's POV: After eating breakfast with Gabby and Louie, we were now all in the office upstairs so that I could work. Well, Gabby was going to help me but...I am sure I was going to get distracted. Louie asked us to be with us because he was still getting used to the house and he was scared. I understood completely and promised myself that I would do whatever it took to make him feel comfortable here at home because that is exactly what this is, his home because he is our son. Getting set up on my laptop, I saw Gabby move to sit next to me in another chair. "So, I wonder why exactly where's another chair in here when last time I checked...there was just 1 computer."

I laughed when she said that before going to put my hand on her stomach. "Because I always knew that you would come join me. I just knew in my heart that I had to buy another one." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Good, because I thought you were going to say something cheesy...oh wait, that was pretty cheesy." I smiled when she said that before going to log onto my CFD account. The laptop was connected to the OFI servers so that I could easily access all of the pictures and stuff on the laptop without having to have physical copies of the fires.

I then looked at Gabby. "Okay, so the first one I am dealing with is the one that Severide sent me last night. Warehouse fire in South Chicago. Chemical spill." Gabby nodded when I said that. "Listen, I know you are still being trained in this. Just ask me questions when you need help." I nodded and agreed with her. "I am glad we are doing this together though. Honestly, it's easier." Gabby nodded when I said that and then went to grab the case file that I printed off. "You printed it off?" I then nodded. "Yeah, I want to go to the scene today. Might be easier."

Gabby then went to look at the pictures when she saw something that was hard. "Oh god, please don't tell me this is a crime scene too?" I was confused when she said that. I then looked at the picture when I saw it was the pictures of another factory fire I had to do. "Dang, wrong factory fire. That was Case #51-S320261. I meant to get #51-S320260." Gabby was confused when I said that. "The 60th call of 2020 instead of the 61st." Gabby then went to grab that file and looked at it. "Okay, we might as well work these together. They are both factory fires in the same district."

I then went to look at them. "Okay, I remember these fires." I then went to point at one. "#60 was my last call for the shift. Right away, the other crew took over and then did #61 in the same area." Gabby sighed when I said that. "That sucks." I was confused. "Why is that a bad thing? I would've been tired if I would've had to stay longer." Gabby then sighed. "If it would've been the same officers on scene...then it might've been the same case. Now, it's two separate cases so that means that I have to prove that they are connected." 

Gabby then looked at me. "Okay, do you remember that fire at all?" I looked at her and nodded. "Okay, then Fire #60. Was it freshly lit or was it burning for a while." I then thought about it. "It was fresh. It didn't take that long to put out." Gabby nodded when I said that. "Fire #61 is much bigger. What if they were just throwing you off so that they could get the bigger factory? Here, bring up the addresses of the two factories. I want to see what companies were located there." I nodded and agreed with her before going to set the files down.

After getting into the system, I went to get information on the buildings through public records available. Looking at the owners, I went to look at Gabby. "It can't be this easy. They are owned by the same shell company." Gabby nodded and then grabbed the mouse from me. Going to click on it, she then went to look at the company to see who it was owned by. That's when it came up...it was owned by Lemond Bishop...aka former drug lord-turned-businessman.

NOTE: I am a fan of the Good Wife/Good Fight on CBS and they are set in Chicago too. So, I am going to live in a world where they are in the same universe so that I can get more storyline ideas.

"Oh god, can you do me a favor and get your brother on the line? I am going to need some help. God, the benefits of having a police brother-in-law...get to have information from them that you wouldn't normally have as an arson investigator." Gabby then laughed when I said that. "Okay, I worked here first and I never thought of calling him. How in the world did I never do that?" Going to grab her phone, Gabby went to call Antonio so that I could talk to him about Lemond Bishop.