Union Station Fire Part 1

Matt's POV: After arriving at Union Station with the house, I smiled when I saw that my trucks were already getting their ladders up and going to work with the water. That's when I heard Cordova speak to me. "Chief, Truck 813 is at Intercity/Bus Terminus. Clearing all buses." I agreed when he said that. "Got it Cordova, by the way 51...please use your shift number when speaking about your vehicle over radio." Everybody agreed when I said that. That's when Severide radio'd to me. "Squad 31 entering Lobby. Chief, the fire may be in here. Or on tracks. Not sure." I agreed with him when he said that. "Truck 811 and Truck 812, go check tracks ASAP." They agreed and went to do as I was told. That's when I heard Isaacs report where his truck was going.

"Truck 812 has Tracks 13-24" I agreed when him when he said that. "Hermann and Truck 811, take Tracks 1-12. How are you at the bus terminal Cordova?" Cordova then replied to me. "Just clearing intercity buses. Can you get CPD to reroute them to the Greyhound Terminal?" I agreed when he said that. "Good idea. Chief Casey to CPD Dispatch." That's when I heard Platt speak to me. "What's up Casey?" I then spoke to her. "Can we get CPD traffic control. We need to reroute all intercity buses from Chicago Union Station to the Greyhound Terminal. Fire at Union Station." She agreed with me when I asked her that. "Understood Chief Casey, uniforms en route. By the way, you remember what you promised me. Keep him safe for me." I agreed and sighed. "Not now Platt. I am commanding a scene." That's when I heard Commissioner Grissom join.

"Casey, what's with all your trucks on call?" I then turned to look at him and smiled. "First day as Chief Casey. I wanted all of my men on my first day." He agreed with me when I said that. "Makes sense. How are you distinguishing between them all?" I then laughed. "Add their shift number to the end of their truck. Severide is currently in the Lobby." He agreed and smiled before going to grab his radio. "You need assistance commanding the scene?" I then shook my head. "I got it. I want to prove myself. What a better way to prove myself than by commanding 3 trucks all at once in Union Station." He agreed with me when I said that. "Good idea. You need to prove yourself to all of the other chiefs." I nodded and agreed when I heard someone call me.

"Chief, this is Bernisac...Truck 812. Can I get Ambo at Track 15?" I agreed with him when he said that. "O'Connor!" O'Connor then turned to look at me. "Track 15 with stretcher. Get your mask that I put in the ambo." He agreed and nodded while going to grab his mask. Grissom then looked at me. "You put masks in there?" I nodded. "And air tanks. I thought...why should firefighters be the only ones with them. There are times where paramedics have to go into the fire too sometimes." Grissom agreed with me when I said that before looking at me. "Chief Grissom, I am going to have to do this though. This is my fire and in my books, you are a civilian right now. Please stand back behind the barriers." He laughed when I said that. "Of course. Want me to go help on the other side?" I nodded and smiled. "Sure thing. Which one?"

I then bit my lip and went to point. "Do North side please. However, my men report to me. Maybe you can just assist with crowd control and with other stuff?" He agreed and nodded. "This is your scene after all." That's when Severide called me. "Chief Lobby is clear. Where do you want me next?" I then went to radio to him. "Do the washrooms and then proceed to the lounges." He agreed when I said that. "Got it Chief." That's when I heard CPD arrive on scene to do traffic. Seeing Jay walk over to me. "Hey, me and Antonio are in control of the scene. Where you want us?" I then looked at him. "Get all these streets blocked off. Get Antonio here with me. He'll be your liaison to me please." Jay nodded and agreed before going to radio to Antonio. "Antonio, Casey requests you as his Liaison to CPD. Please come to where I was."

I then looked at him. "Can you start by rerouting Intercity Buses to Greyhound Terminal? Any other buses there too." He agreed and nodded when I said that before running away to do just that. That's when Antonio drove up to me and then came over. "Wow, talk about a big fire to start your tenure as official chief?" I nodded when he said that. "Gabby's at the house just to let you know. I'm here for 72 hours. So don't get worried if you don't see a car at our place." He nodded and agreed, going to rub my back when I went to concentrate on my fire scene. "Firehouse 51, report status updates. What floors are you on?" Firehouse 51 then proceeded to give me status updates as to where they all were. Trucks 811 and 812 were still searching the tracks and some of the trains were just leaving with people.

Meanwhile, Ambo 61 was on their way out with their patient from Track 15 and that's when I saw Sylvie come out. Waving to her, I saw her go to get in the ambulance and leave. Truck 813 then reported to me. "Chief, I am about to go in from this side. We are done clearing the bus terminal. Want us to meet our counterparts and assist?" I thought about it and shook my head. "No. Prepare your truck to put the fire out. Ladder up and houses out. Connect to Engine 513. Engine 513 get your hoses out when you can and help on that side." Lt. Acton then responded. "Copy that Chief. Almost connected here. We have a second water connection on this side so, we don't need to connect if no required." I agreed with him. "Then please connect to Truck 813."

Lt. Cordova then responded. "Are we allowed to start yet? We can probably do the roof considering it won't affect the people searching below?" I thought about it and went to radio to Grissom. "What's your opinion on that Grissom? Would we affect people and burn them alive if we just did the roof?" Grissom then responded. "I don't think so Casey. Your call at the end of the day." I agreed with him. "Then Cordova, get the roof started and vent it if possible." He agreed with me when I said that. "Doing that chief." I agreed. "Please report to me before you start so that I can monitor the situation and so that other people know. If you hear anything that sounds like you are possibly hurting someone searching, stop immediately."

He understood when I said that. "Got it chief. Raising Aerial and preparing to get on roof." I agreed and then waited for him to do that so that I could give more instructions if the situation changed.