Chapter 164

Matt's POV: When I saw that they have decided to rule Jim's house fire arson, I was shocked. And I just so happen to learn about that while I am here with my sister and niece...the one I had to rescue from that exact fire. Violet then looked at me. "Uncle Matt, what does that mean? Is my dad in trouble?" I then bit my lip and looked at her. "Violet, arson is a crime. It carries a jail sentence of 3-7 years." Christie then got scared when I said that. "Wow, this is getting crazy." I nodded and just sighed. "I need to call my supervisor babe. Can you take take Louie?"

Gabby was confused when I said that. "Why?" I then sighed. "I have to tell them that I can't be involved in the case. I am his ex-brother-in-law and one of the victim's uncles...sorry if that puts me in a bad place." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Right, go ahead and make sure they don't send you anymore information. If they do...that can taint the case." I nodded and agreed with her. "Here Violet, how about you take Louie or do you want him Gabby?" Louie then looked at me and pointed to Gabby. "Mama." I nodded and agreed with him. "Okay, here you go bud."

Getting up, I went to give him to Gabby and smiled as I went to walk away to go talk to Severide so that he can talk to Duffy. I've been put in charge of all Firehouse 51 fires but, I can't deal with his one. Might want to talk to Chief first though. Going to call the house, I just waited for Chief to answer. "Matt, how are you? What can I do for you?" I then sighed and spoke to him. "I need you to talk to OFI and tell them to put another investigator on my current case." He was confused when I said that. "But you asked to specifically do all Firehouse 51 cases. That not a good idea?"

I sighed when he said that. "Not in this case. They just ruled my brother-in-law's house fire as arson. So...I can't take the case because well..." Boden understood right away. "Of course, I understand Matt. The appearance of bias and impropriety. That makes complete sense. What if I told Severide to do it for you and you just submit it?" I sighed when he said that. "Chief, I can't have my name on it anywhere. If they refer this for criminal prosecution...I would have to testify against my ex-brother-in-law. How would that look like for my niece? She would hate me!"

That's when I heard Violet walk up behind me. "I would never hate you uncle Matt." Turning around I went to look at her. "Chief, give me a minute okay?" I then went to cover the mouth. "Violet, I am talking to my boss about something you can't listen to okay? I know it's your dad and arson is a crime but...this is something I need to take care of." Violet then looked at me. "You are going to help my dad right uncle Matt?" I then sighed and looked at her. "Violet, I can't." Violet then looked at me. "Uncle Matt, he wasn't even t..." I then stopped her. "Violet, I can't."

Violet shook her head when I said that. "It's not that you can't...it's that you won't." She then went to walk away and I sighed. "Gabby..." Gabby then turned to look at me. "Can you explain to Violet why I can't be on the case? She says I am doing it because I don't want to help her dad." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "Violet, sit down and I will explain to you okay?" Violet then went to sit down. Meanwhile, I went back to talk to Chief. "Sorry Chief, my niece just isn't happy that I am not going to be helping clear her dad. "I get it. Listen, you go talk to her. Talk later." 

I agreed when he said that and nodded, hanging up before going to walk over to my family. Looking at Violet as she sat there cross armed, I knew she was mad. "Violet, I am not doing it. You are not guilting me into taking the case because I can't Vi. I can't do it because he is my ex-brother-in-law. There's something called appearance of impropriety. Because of who your dad is...it would be that from the start and whatever I find would be put into question. They would have to do the investigation all over again with another set of investigators anyways."

Violet then looked at me and sighed. "That would mean you can't get your things for even longer." Violet understood and then went to hug me. "Sorry uncle Matt." I nodded as I bent down and just went to hug her. "Listen, how about we go sit down. But first, I am going to get something for you guys." Gabby was confused when I said that. "What are you going to get?" I then smiled at her. "We forgot to grab the recent ones." Gabby then agreed. "Right, can you go get them?" I agreed and smiled, walking away to get the latest ultrasound pictures of the triplets that we got for Christie and Violet.