Chapter 228

Matt's POV: After walking away with Chief Patterson, I smiled when we stood together in the front of the bar so that I could get some advice chief-to-chief. Smiling at him I held my beer close and just looked at him. "Okay, so listen...I get this is going to sound weird but, you have any tips for me? You know, like...first time chief." Patterson smiled when I said that. "Honestly, just trust your gut and make orders that you think are right for your men. Your job as Battalion Chief is to keep your men safe and to protect your community. You going to keep it going as a community firehouse?" I nodded when he said that. "Yeah, I am going to keep our house open to the community...especially right now. Might do a monthly food bank or something. Christmas toy drives and things like that. Just whatever I can do that can give back to the community."

Patterson nodded when I said that. "What about personnel changes? Are you going to bring in a new candidate or are you going to look for a new replacement?" I then bit my lip when he said that. "That is something I haven't even thought about yet. Am I allowed to end my candidate's probationary period early and make him a firefighter before the end of that time? Honestly, I would rather just keep my crew in tact and not have to risk bumping my candidate out of a spot. I would like to keep them there because I personally recruited my truck candidate." That's when I heard Gallo walk up to me. "Yes, you did. Sorry to disturb Chief but...I just wanted to say congratulations." I nodded and smiled before going to shake his hand. "Oh Gallo, meet my counterpart at Firehouse 90...Battalion Chief Dallas Patterson." He then smiled at Gallo.

"By the way Matt, you don't need to call be Patterson anymore. We are equals so that means that you can call me Dallas." I nodded and agreed with him. "Let me get used to this. By the way Gallo, you are now going to report to Hermann and Stella okay? The thing is that I haven't selected my replacement on truck." He nodded and agreed. "Of course, you are the one in charge." I smiled when he said that. "Yes, now get to work at the bar. Last time I checked, you were on shift and working tonight." Patterson then looked at me when I said that. "How do you know that?" I then laughed. "I co-own the Bar. Gabby founded it." Patterson smiled when I said that. "By the way, belated congratulations on the triplets. You ready for it?" I nodded and smiled.

"I think we are. We also just adopted a son." Patterson seemed shocked when I said that. "Really?" I sighed when he said that. "It's a long story and I would rather not be judged about it. We tried to adopt him when he was younger but his dad came back. His dad recently died so...he was an orphan. We decided to take him back in and now he's ours. We just weren't going to leave him to go to another family when he knows us and we already love him as if he was still our son. But now, he is our son. We legally adopted him and I am his father. His name is Louie TK Casey. We kept his parents' last names in his name as his middle initials. So, his full name is Louie Thompson Keys Casey." He then looked at me, shocked. "Wow, that's a mouthful."

I nodded when he said that. "By the way, do all the firehouses have bedrooms for Chiefs?" Patterson smiled when I said that. "Let me guess, you just found yours?" I nodded. "I always wondered where Boden slept at night. He wasn't out except during calls and I never saw him sleeping in the bunk room. And he didn't have a sleeping quarters like I did as a captain...which he should have had if he did have a bed there." Patterson smiled when I said that. "Yeah, I think they keep it private so that they can do that without being found." I smiled when he said that. "I am going to enjoy mine. I am going to let Gabby sleep there on all shifts and we are going to bring in cribs for when the triplets are born. That way, I can work longer shifts if required."

Patterson nodded when I said that. "You sure that's the only reason you are going to enjoy the room. I wasn't going to say anything while I was there but...it was no secret what you and Gabby did in the showers." I then blushed when he said that and smiled at him. "Yeah, that was probably not the best way to make a first impression on the man that was now my co-worker. Please at least tell me that you never walked in on us." Patterson shook his head when I asked him that. "Nope, it's just pretty obvious when the only two people who aren't in the room are the engaged couple. By the way, how did you ever figure out a way to stay at the same house while you guys were married. The CFD has a policy against that...I know because my wife..."

I was shocked when he said that. "Slow down there, you have a wife?" Patterson nodded and smiled. "Yeah, I never mentioned that? We've been married since 2010 and we have an 8-year old daughter named Layla." I smiled when he said that. "Well, you learn things every day." Patterson smiled and nodded when I said that. "By the way, has Severide been promoted yet or is he still quad Lieutenant?" I shook my head. "Not for long. I am going to try and get him promoted as my wedding gift to him. Try and find a way to earn a meritorious promotion. Unless of course you have ideas for a way to get him a meritorious promotion. I am just shocked they didn't put him up for one at the same time as me when I did it with him after all."

Patterson nodded when I said that before smiling at me. That's when Gabby came back to me and just went to rub my back. "I am going to the washroom okay? Just letting you know in case I get worried." I smiled when she said that. "Listen, I am going to wait for you. We haven't been here since you told me you were pregnant." Gabby then stared at me, shocked that was the case. "Holy shit, you're right." I nodded and smiled as I went to walk away with her. "Nice talking to you Patterson. By the way, Severide just got engaged." Patterson nodded. "I will go congratulate him." I then laughed while walking away with Gabby to go wait for her in our spot.