Chapter 254

Matt's POV:
After bringing Louie to the kitchen to get him some food, I smiled as he looked at all of the options. I then decided to grab some of the stuff he had to eat. "Daddy, I didn't..." I then looked at him and went to kiss the top of his head. "These are some things that you need to eat. I promise, you can pick some stuff. You need to eat rice and a bit of chicken okay? Now we have shrimp, vegetables..." Looking at me, Gabby then nodded. "He needs to eat veggies Matt." Nodding, I agreed with her before going to put some veggies on his plate. However, Louie didn't like that. "No veggies daddy!" He then went to hit his plate and it went all over the floor.

Looking at him, I was shocked. "Louie, go to your room, sit on your bed and stay there until you I come see you." Gabby looked at me when I said that. "What did he do?" I then looked at her and bent down to get the vegetables he threw onto the floor. "He is going to his room." Gabby nodded when I said that. "Louie, go upstairs to your room until your daddy comes upstairs and gets you." Louie then went to go upstairs and was not happy. I just sighed when he did that because I knew that he was going to be trouble right now. He had a few problems with authority since he has been bounced around the system a lot...one of the main reasons I agreed to this.

Going to make a plate for him, I went to put it on the table before looking at Gabby. "Do you want me to talk to him or are you going to talk to him?" Gabby then thought about it and sighed. "Matt, I hate saying this...I really do. But I feel like he is still getting used to you being his daddy. He has always seen me as his mom and..." I nodded and understood what she meant. "Listen, you go ahead and talk to him. I will make him a plate of food without vegetables. Maybe I can just put it on my plate and then we can feed them to him with our forks." Gabby nodded when I said that. "That sounds like the better plan. I will be right back okay?" I nodded and smiled.

Watching Gabby walk away to go upstairs, I sighed when I heard Severide walk over to me. "Has it always been this hard when it comes to Louie?" I shook my head and sighed. "I think he might just be overwhelmed. We told him about how we lost one of the babies so...he is probably confused. And then you guys are here so, that might be throwing him off and stuff." Severide nodded when I said that before going to rub my back. "You just need to take it slow with him. Yes, I get you are his legal father now but...he hasn't been with you guys since you got married." 

I nodded when he said that. "Now, about you...how are you taking this man? I know Gabby isn't the only one who's hurting when it comes to you guys having lost one of your triplets. Yes, I haven't had a kid before and I have never gone through loosing a child you never met. I tried to be there for you last time around but, you didn't open up to me. But this time man, I need you to open up to me. I am concerned. Now listen, remember that I am talking to you as your friend okay and you need to understand I am doing this out of the love and respect I have for you. Remember that I also see you not only as my best friend but my brother."

Turning to look at him, I decided to just hear him out. Severide then took a breath. "Dude, I don't want to have to worry about you when we are on shift. I am not going to question your leadership or judgements okay...I know you are going to be professional just like you were when you lost your first baby and like when you lost Louie. However, you are also grieving Boden. Add on top of that and it can easily get overwhelming. So be honest with me and tell me that I am not going to have to worry about you on the job." I sighed when he said that because he made good points. "I get what you mean and I promise that I am going to keep you safe."

Severide's POV:
Looking into Matt's eyes while he told me that he promised he was going to keep me safe, I believed him. I know that he is not taking this lightly and I know that he is scared to take on this job. But, he is going to be the perfect fit for the role of Battalion Chief. Boden couldn't have picked a better successor. "Listen, you know I'm always here for you right man? I know it seems like I am pissed that I didn't get the job but...I'm not. You deserve this and you are born to do this. So Matt, you can come to me whenever you want. I don't care if you are my boss. First and foremost, you are my best friend and brother."

Matt smiled when I said that before going to wrap his arms around me. "I guess it's just hard. Having heard the heartbeats for all 3 of the kids...it made it seem so real and I dreamed all the time of getting to hold all three of them. Knowing I am never going to be able to hold one of them is heartbreaking. I just don't feel like I should complain because I have it easy compared to Gabby. She is still carrying the third baby because it's unsafe for them to go in and take it out. There are two other babies in there and that means that she has to go ahead and keep it in there until she gives birth. At least, I think she does."

Hearing him say that just broke my heart. I mean, they have to watch their unborn child get taken out of Gabby while she is giving birth to their twins. "God, that is going to be so painful for you guys. Have you been having dreams about it?" Matt sighed and nodded. "I hate to say this but....I have. It's scaring me because I know that Gabby is going to be so happy when we meet our twins but...we are also going to have to watch the doctors take out our third unborn child." That's when we both heard Gabby come downstairs with Louie. "God, I hadn't even thought about that yet." Looking at Matt, I sighed and went to rub his arm.

"Listen, if you want...you can go talk to her quick and we can feed Louie for you guys?" Stella then nodded when I said that. "Yeah, I think you guys need to talk about it." Gabby sighed when I said that. "I want to wait until we have Louie asleep. I know we should but, it's not the time. This is something we need to do when we are alone and where we can't put a time limit on it. Later, I promise we will talk about this okay Matt?" Matt nodded when she said that before walking over to her, wrapping his arms around her and kissing the top of her head. "I love you, you know that right?" Gabby nodded when he said that before kissing him softly. "Let's eat okay?"

We all agreed when Gabby said that before grabbing our food so that we could eat supper together. However, I wasn't sure if I was going to talk to Matt about it again. But I for sure want to get a tour of this place.