Chapter 265

Matt's POV: After getting a radio from our baskets, I was finally ready to watch my crews drill. However, what I didn't expect to see was them drilling together. That was perfect and exactly why I wanted them all to drill at the same time. It was to build co-operation between the entire firehouse and maybe even see where somebody could fit better. I wanted to see how my house worked and learn what I never got to see when I was captain of just 1st shift. Now, I was going to be able to talk to all of my Lieutenants. Seeing everybody was just scattered, I went to look at my Lieutenants. "Lieutenants, come here please." My lieutenants then walked over to me.

Looking at them, I sighed. "Maybe I could've set this up better so for that I am sorry but...maybe we should do drill stations and rotate? I am not sure if this is easy." Severide then laughed. "Hey, you were the one who wanted all 3 of your shifts on at once." I nodded when he said that. "Yes, because I need to see them all work together. I wanted my entire firehouse to also have a chance to grieve together. C'mon, you all have to agree that this is a chance for us to talk about Boden and grieve together." Herrmann nodded when I said that and just shrugged. "That makes sense Severide." I nodded and agreed. "By the way Herrmann, I expect you to work with your equals."

Herrmann then looked at me when I said that. "Isn't Severide my equal?" I nodded. "Yes, but I mean your other Engine equals." That's when I heard Gabby come downstairs with Louie. "Sorry, he was getting cranky upstairs. He wants to run a bit. That okay?" I nodded and smiled at her. "Yeah, that sounds great. Just make sure you're safe okay Louie?" Louie nodded and agreed as he stayed downstairs. "Everybody, can you keep your eye on our son for me? Make sure he doesn't run into the street or anything." Everybody then turned to look at me and nodded. "Of course chief." I smiled when they said that. That's when I saw Donna come through the door.

Everybody stopped when they saw her and I just smiled. "Hi Donna." Donna then walked over to us and smiled. "You said I could visit whenever I want. Is that the case?" I nodded and looked at her before going to hug her. "I am so sorry about your loss. Talk about worst timing eh?" I nodded when she said that. "Yes. But listen, I am actually on my first shift today. I brought everybody here because it would allow us to grieve." Donna nodded when I said that. I then looked at Terrence and smiled at him. "Hey bud, I think I saw one of your toys upstairs."

Gabby nodded when I said that. "Can you watch Louie and I can go get it for him?" I then laughed. "It's in my office babe. You can go there." Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that before going to get it for Terrence in my office. Turning to look at Donna, I smiled at her. "First time seeing you since I took the reigns." Donna nodded and smiled. "Matt, he would be so happy that you were doing this. And honestly, you are doing a great job already. I am just shocked you brought everybody in." I nodded when she said that. "Yeah, I wanted to see them all together. Also gives them all a chance to grieve together all at once. He was a father figure to us all."

That's when I Jason Kannell, my 2nd shift Squad lieutenant walk over. "Sorry to interrupt chief but...I wanted to just personally give my regards." Donna nodded and smiled. "Of course." She then went to hug him and smiled. "Thanks Kannell." He seemed shocked that she knew his name. "You know my name?" She nodded and smiled. "I know everybody's name. Wallace knew who all of you were." He smiled and nodded. "Listen, you need anything...you call me and I will help." She laughed and looked at me. "Everybody has said that so far honestly." I nodded and agreed with her. "Yeah, I think that's the point. We are all here for you Donna."

Donna smiled when I said that and then went to grab my hand. "Listen, I am just going to go look at his office one last time? I think this might be my last time here for a while if that's okay?" I nodded and understood. "Listen, I will get Hermmann and Mouch for you okay? You guys can talk about him for a bit before..." I then started to hear the bells go off and heard it was a big one. Gabby then came running out and looked at me. "Be safe." I nodded and agreed with her before wrapping my arm around her, kissing her softly. "Love you." I then went to go get in my Jeep to drive with the entire firehouse to the latest fire. And boy was this a big one.

Apparently, there was a huge fire at Union Station downtown. That was going to require a lot of men. Thank god we have a lot of men. That's when I decided to radio my crews. "Chief to Firehouse 51. Shift 1 take Lobby and Washroom, Shift 2 take Train Platforms, Shift 3 take Bus Terminal and Intercity buses." Everybody agreed when I said that, racing towards Union Station for my first fire as Firehouse 51's official chief.