Sorry

You were sweeping the floors of a hall in the castle when you heard voices being raised in a nearby room. You stepped closer to the door and listened. You could tell it was the prince and the king talking. 

"But dad," Varian said. "You can't be serious."

"Im sorry to say it, son," Quirin said. "But this is currently our only option."

"But Luna-" Varian tried to say. 

"Needs help," Quirin said cutting his son off. "I know this isn't what the two of you had in mind for the future, but you must understand. This is the only way to save everyone."

Varian didn't say anything. He just kept his eyes on the floor as his father spoke. "Do you understand?" Quirin asked. 

"Yes, sir," Varian weakly said. 

"Good," Quirin said. "You have my leave to go." Varian didn't say anything as he turned and headed for the door. You quickly moved out of the way just before the door bursted open and Varian headed down the hall. He didn't notice you as he walked away. 

You stood still for a moment as you watched Varian leave. "(Y/n)," you suddenly heard the king say. "I know you're there. Come in."

You did as you were told. You walked into the room, being faced with Quirin's back as he continued to look out the window. 

"Yes, your majesty?" you quietly said. 

"I want to prepare a guest room," Quirin said. "We will be having a special visitor soon."

"Yes, sir," you said. You were quiet for a moment longer before speaking up again. "But, um-"

"Yes?" Quirin said turning his head to look at you over his shoulder. 

"If I may say," you slowly started. "The prince seemed a little distraught. Is there anything I can do for him?"

Quirin sighed and directed his attention to the view outside the window. "Something has come up," he said. "Varian just isn't taking it very well. I only ask that you look out for him. I know about your friendship with him."

"I will do my best, sir," you said turning to leave. "Oh, but who is this visitor I must prepare for?"

"Princess Lunamarie de Shine of Lanoche," Quirin said. 

"Varian's childhood friend?" you asked. 

"The same," Quirin said with a ghost of a smile. 

"I'll get on it right away," you said leaving the room. 

Varian sat on his bed and sighed. Ruddiger noticed the boy's distress and walked over to him, crawling up to his shoulders. 

"Hey, buddy," Varian said patting the raccoon's head. Varian sighed again as he stood up and opened the doors that lead to his balcony. He breathed in the fresh night air as he stepped out and leaned against the railing. Ruddiger jumped off of Varian's shoulders and sat on the railing, giving the boy a sad inquisitive look. 

Varian looked at a vase of roses next to him. He reached over and gently held the red flower between his fingers, rolling it back and forth. "I don't know, Ruddiger," Varian said. "I mean, I like Luna, but not as in I want to marry her." He sighed again. "So much for the promise we made so many years ago." Ruddiger gave Varian a sad look. "But, hey," Varian said changing his tone to sound more positive. "At least we'll get to see Luna again, right? It has been a long time since either of us saw her."

"Varian?" you said opening the door to his room. Varian jumped slightly, almost dropping the rose he held in his hand. 

"I heard you talking with your father," you said walking towards the balcony and stepping out. Varian stared at you. The night breeze gently blue through your hair, and the moonlight gave you a heavenly glow. For a moment, he thought you were an angel.

"Is everything alright?" you asked, breaking Varian from his thoughts. 

"Um, yeah," Varian said gripping the rose tighter and getting more nervous. "I, I, I'm fine. I..."

"Varian," you said gently taking hold of his hand. He stopped talking and just stared at you. "What's wrong?" Varian looked at you, then over to the rose. 

"Nothing," Varian said with a small smile as he turned his gaze back to you. He placed the rose behind your ear and held both of your hands, making you blush. "Nothing can go wrong as long as you're here." You smiled before giving him a warm hug. Varian kept one arm tightly wrapped around your waist, while using his other hand to stroke his fingers through your hair. He just couldn't bare to tell you about the wedding. 

The following morning, Varian and Quirin stood at the doors to the castle as a carriage arrived. Once the carriage came to a halt in front of them, a young girl Varian's age stepped out. Her skin was a fair pale. Her eyes were a dark blue that reflected that of the sky before a sunset or at dawn. Her hair was silky black raven locks that cascaded down her back and beyond her waist. She was dressed in a Devine gown painted in blues and silvers. A silver chain necklace rested around her neck with a crescent moon pendant, and a silver tiara rested on her head. 

"Luna?" Varian said in a bit of surprise. 

"Hello, Varian," Luna said with a small smile as she approached him and his father. "It's lovely to see you again."

"You, too," Varian said. 

Luna was followed by a snobby woman with long brown hair and dressed in a tight black dress. Followed by her was a lanky man with dark hair dressed in black as well.

"King Victor, Queen Maria," Quirin said with what Varian could tell was a fake smile. 

"King Quirin," Maria said flatly. "I trust the preparations have started."

"Yes," Quirin said. 

"Wonderful," Victor said. "The wedding shall be able to take place next week."

"Next week?" Luna said in slight shock and alarm. She suddenly squeaked and scrunched up her face before going silent. Varian saw Maria squeezing Luna's shoulder before removing her hand to show drops of blood on her nails. Varian bit his lip and tried not to say anything. 

"Why don't you follow me to the parlor?" Quirin said stepping inside the castle as guards held the doors open. "We could give Varian and Luna a little time to catch up."

"Very well," Victor said following Quirin with Maria trailing behind him. 

Suddenly a boy the same age as Varian and Luna walked through the doors and stood next to Luna. He had his dark locks neatly combed back and wore dark armor. "It's a good thing your mother assigned me to be your bodyguard, don't you think, Luna?" the boy said. "Wouldn't want your fiancé taking advantage of anything." He stroked a finger down Luna's arm. 

"Y-y-yes, Artemis," Luna said slightly shaking.  

Varian cleared his throat. "Yes," Varian said. "Luna and I are going to be in the gardens, and we don't have any current need for a bodyguard."

"Very well, your majesty," Artemis said backing up, letting the two take their leave. 

You poked your head out slightly from behind the wall where you had been listening. You saw Artemis walk down the hall with one of the darkest looks you had ever seen. You quickly ducked back before he could see you. Once he had passed you, you looked back at Varian and Luna as they walked to the gardens. 

Varian was getting married?