Cold

You sighed as you looked out the window of the moving carriage. You didn't want to leave Corona, especially not today of all days. You were the younger princess of Corona and Rapunzel's little sister. You had been helping her adapt to princess life ever since she came back. However, on the one day when Rapunzel is put in charge of the whole kingdom while your parents are away, you had to get called to another kingdom.

You shivered slightly as you saw the snow get more rough outside. You hated the cold. You never liked traveling in this weather, and it didn't help that you were alone this time.

You suddenly heard the horses neigh in alarm and felt the carriage start to move more wildly. Before you had any time to react, you heard ropes break and felt the carriage start to tumble. You were thrown all over the place as it spun around and around.

Once it finally stopped, you crawled out of the carriage and took a look around. You couldn't say anything. The snow was picking up into a heavy blizzard. You shielded your eyes as you tried to see. You slowly started to trudge through the snow. You didn't know where you were going, but you figure just about anything would be better than just standing in the middle of nowhere.

After a while, you made a wrong step and stumbled down a steep hill. You landed in an ice cold river and coughed as you tried to get out. You slowly were able to crawl onto the shore. Your whole body shook violently as you tried to continue onward. You started to see the silhouette of someone in the blizzard before you collapsed and blacked out.

Varian was dashing through the blizzard as fast as he could. The storm was getting worse by the second, but he had to get back to his home. There was no telling what condition his dad was in at that point. He suddenly saw someone a few feet in front of him. He squinted as he tried to see who it was before it collapsed. Varian ran over to see if they were okay. He was shocked when he saw you laying in the snow.

"(Y/n)," Varian said in shock. He got down on his knees and lifted your upper half. He removed his glove and placed his bare hand on your cheek. Your were colder than ice. Varian quickly put his glove back on and picked you up in his arms. "Just hang in there, (y/n)," he said as he continued to try and get through the storm.

After a while, Varian could finally see the faint silhouettes of the buildings in Old Corona. He tried to pick up the pace as he got closer to his home. "Dad," Varian said getting through the door and shutting it behind him. "The princess wasn't able to help, but I-" Varian froze in place at what he saw. His dad was completely encased in the amber with a look of agony plastered on his face.

Varian was frozen. He didn't know what to do or thing. He subconsciously squeezed you in his arms. He wanted to go to his dad, but he still had a chance to save you. 

Varian quickly started a fire in the fire place and gathered up every blanket and coat he could find in the house. He sat next to you and wrapped the blankets around you and himself as he held you in his arms. "You're going to be okay, (y/n)," Varian said holding you close, desperately trying to warm you up. "I lost my dad. I won't lose you, too." You had warmed up just enough to snuggle into Varian and show him some comfort as well. You two sat there as the storm raged on, just hoping you could keep each other sage and warm and away from the cold.