A Freak

You sat next to Varian as he worked on some new invention. You really liked to watch varian work. You liked when you saw wonder glow in his eyes and when he stuck his tongue out when he was concentrating. 

"Hey, (y/n)," Varian suddenly said. "Can you hand me that screwdriver?"

"Oh, sure," you said picking up the tool and handing it to him. He was about to grab it when his hand seemed to freeze. He looked at his hand confused. He tried to take the screwdriver again, but it just fell out of his grip.

"Varian?" you said placing a hand on his shoulder. He quickly stood up once he felt your touch.

"I'll be right back," he said quickly leaving the room. You sat there confused at Varian's sudden change in attitude and behavior. 

Varian came back into the lab a few minutes later still looking shook but more calm. He sat down next to you and continued working as if nothing happened. 

"Are you okay?" you asked. 

"Yep, perfectly fine," Varian quickly said. 

"Was there something wrong with your hand?" you asked. 

"Uh, no," Varian said. "It's fine. Everything is fine." His hand suddenly seemed to freeze again. 

"Varian," you said. 

"Oww," Varian said forcefully. "Cramp! There's a cramp in my hand!" He quickly stood up. "I'll be right back." He tried to leave, but you stopped him by grabbing his wrist.

"What aren't you telling me?" you asked demandingly.

"Nothing," Varian said as he tried to get out of your grasp. "I just have a cramp."

"There's more to it," you said. "And I know it." You tugged a little too hard making Varian's glove come flying off and you landing on the ground.

You looked at Varian's exposed hand with wide eyes. He seemed to have a similar expression on his face as he stared at you. He quickly hid his hand behind his back as you got up and approached him. 

"Varian," you said. 

"Nothing!" Varian quickly exclaimed backing away from you. 

You grabbed Varian's hand and looked at it again. There wasn't skin. Instead you saw metal and gears. It was a false hand. 

"Varian," you said again. He quickly snatched his glove out of your hand and slipped it back on. "Why didn't you-"

"Don't tell anyone," He said with his back to you.

"Why?" you asked. "Why can't anyone know? Why didn't you want me to know?"

"I'm already considered an outcast because of my alchemy," Varian said. "I don't want to be seen as a freak as well."

"You're not a freak," you said placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Stop pretending you still like me," Varian said. He walked away from you and leaned against the wall. "You can go ahead an leave just like every other person that found out."

"I'm not leaving," you said approaching him. "You're my best friend. I won't leave you because you have false hands. You're still the same Varian." You stepped in front of Varian and cupped his  face instead of grabbing his hands, so he could feel your touch. "I still love you." You wrapped your arms around him and hugged him tightly. He happily hugged back. You stayed.