Candlelight

Modern AU

Varian stumbled in the dark. The power had just gone out, and he couldn't see a thing. He always felt nervous in the dark, and the loud storm outside wasn't helping him.

"(Y/n)?" Varian quietly called.

"Varian?" you said stumbling into the same room as him. "Is that you?"

"Yeah," Varian said. "Do you have a flashlight or something?"

"No, sorry," you said. "But I think I have some candles somewhere. Follow me."

Varian grabbed hold of you, so he wouldn't lose you in the dark. You carefully made your way around. Having Varian attached to you made it a little harder to move around, but you knew about his fear.

Varian suddenly let out a small scream and clung tighter to you. "What?" you said in alarm.

"I thought I saw something," Varian said.

"Varian, I know you hate the dark and all, but don't get scared of your own shadow on me," you said.

"I'm not scared," Varian denied. 

"Okay then," you said continuing onward. 

A book fell on the floor, making Varian jump and cling to you again. "Not afraid, huh?" you sarcastically said. 

"Shut up," Varian said in embarrassment. You rolled your eyes and held him up on your back. "What are you doing?"

"You're scared, and you keep jumping on me anyway," you said. "I might as well carry you."

"I told you I'm not scared," Varian said.

"Yeah," you said rolling your eyes. "And I'm a fangirl from the twenty first century."

"Come on," Varian said. 

"There's nothing wrong with admitting a little fear," you said as you continued to look for those candles. 

"I am not afraid," Varian said clearly annoyed. There was another loud sound. Varian jumped with a scream. You cradled him in your arms like a baby.

"It's okay, widdle baby," you said. "I'll protect you."

"Stop it," Varian said annoyed.

"Oh, there they are," you said spotting the silhouettes of candles and dropping Varian. 

"Ow," Varian said rubbing his head.

"Okay, here we go," you said lighting up the candles. 

"Thanks a lot for dropping me," Varian said. 

"Well, you wanted me to put you down," you said picking up a nearby blanket. "Now, come on. I know you love cuddles, especially when you're scared."

"For the last time," Varian said starting to sound angry. " I'm not-" Suddenly a flash of lightning lit up the room followed by a loud crash of thunder. He screamed and ducked under the blanket, cuddling up to you. He nervously laughed. "Cuddles are still nice."

You chuckled and held him close. He clung to you the rest of the night.