Seed Of Darkness

I know I'm late, but I'm going to participate in Tangledtober. I'll do my best to catch up and get all the prompts finished before October ends. 

Day 1: Origin

You shivered slightly as you followed Varian through the dark caverns. The only source of light was what came from his lantern.

"I don't like this, Varian," you said nervously. "Maybe we should go back."

"Don't worry," Varian said. "There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Something doesn't feel right, though," you said. 

"Relax," Varian said placing a hand on your shoulder. "You're just letting your nerves get to you."

You took a deep breath and sighed. "You're right," you said. "I'm just nervous."

"Come on," Varian said grabbing your hand and leading you further down the caverns. 

After a while of walking, you could see a faint blue glow  "What is that?" you asked. 

"I don't know," Varian said. "Stay behind me. I'll check it out." You nodded and followed him closely from behind. 

You and Varian squeezed through a small hole in the wall of rocks. You were in what looked like an old throne room. You noticed that the walls had crumbled and the statues had lost their heads and a few limbs. You both turned your heads to see a strange stone glowing from within a strange black structure. 

"What is this?" you asked. 

"I don't know," Varian said as he started to walk towards the glowing stone. "It's extraordinary. I've never seen anything like it." He started to reach forward to touch it.

"Varian, wait," you said quickly grabbing his wrist. He looked at you, confused. "What if it's dangerous. We don't know what this thing is."

"No one made great discoveries by playing it safe," Varian said as he reached for the stone once more. You covered your eyes, afraid of what might happen. Varian easily grasped the stone and pulled it out of the structure. 

"Wow," you and Varian said as he opened his closed hand to reveal the stone. It suddenly started to glow brighter and levitate just above Varian's hand. 

"What is it doing?" you asked feeling more nervous. 

"I don't know," Varian said. The stone suddenly let out a giant burst of energy, knocking both of you back by several feet. You groaned slightly as you sat up. You suddenly screamed at what you saw. Varian's hand was turning into stone like the black rocks that surrounded you. You quickly got to your feet and ran towards Varian. The black rocks sprouted up everywhere as you ran, making it hard for you to move without getting hit. Before you could make it to Varian, he had been completely surrounded by black rocks. 

It went quiet. Too quiet. You didn't like it one bit. "Varian?" you softly called out. The rocks suddenly slowly sank back into the ground to reveal Varian completely turned to black stone. You gasped and ran up to him.

"Varian?" you said in great worry as you put a hand to his cheek. "Varian?" you asked again as a few tears started to spill out of your eyes. 

Cracks suddenly started to form in the stone that was once Varian's skin. Blue light illuminated out of every crack. The stone all fell a apart to reveal what looked like Varian. He didn't look human. He looked more like some sort of spirit. The stone he had grabbed floated up to him and took the form of a staff that he grasped. 

Varian looked at you with a blank expression as his eyes glowed brightly. It was like he didn't recognize you. "Varian?" you asked reaching out. 

He suddenly swung his staff, making all the rocks surround the room to break the down the walls. He floated out without a word as the rocks followed him. You were about to say something, but a swarm of strange, blue apparitions appeared from out of old statues and cracks in the walls. They all followed Varian as the chanted something about the seed of darkness being awakened. The moon would reign again. 

What had you done?