Heaven

Dark Kingdom AU

Adira opened the door to your room and gazed at your sleeping form. She slowly approached you and shook your shoulder. "Princess (y/n)," she said lightly. "(Y/n). Wake up, (y/n)."

You groaned a little and opened your eyes. "Adira?" you said confused as your rubbed your eyes. "What's going on?"

"I'll explain later," Adira said. "But right now I need you to get up and get dressed."

You still wanted to question her about what was going on, but you decided to just listen to her and get up. 

Meanwhile, Quirin was informing Varian of a serious mission.

"Dad," Varian said. "You can't be serious."

"It will be for the best," Quirin said. "(Y/n) and you will be safe."

"Then why aren't you or Edmond coming?" Varian asked. "We could all be safe."

"There is no time to argue," Quirin said sternly. "The moon opal has gained more power than any of us can control. Edmond and I have to stay to prevent it from reaching out to the innocent. You must go forth and protect the princess at all costs. It's just too dangerous for her here."

"But, Dad--" Varian tried to say.

"Promise me, Varian," Quirin interrupted. "Promise me that you'll keep the princess safe and away from here."

"I..." Varian paused and looked down at the floor. "I promise."

Adira lead you to the castle's main gates. "Adira," you said. "You still haven't told me what's going on."

"We're just going on a trip," Adira said. 

"You mean outside the Dark Kingdom?" you asked slightly excited. 

"Yes," Adira said. 

"Oh, that sounds great!" you happily said. "But, uh, when are we coming back?"

"Only time will tell," Adira said with a sigh.

"We're ready to move out," Varian said walking up to you two. 

"Varian," you happily said embracing him. "I didn't know you were coming, too. This going to be so much fun!"

"Right," Varian said wrapping his arms around you protectively. "Fun."

Not too long afterward, the three of you headed out. You were immediately amazed at what everything looked like outside of the Dark Kingdom. There was so much light and life. As Varian and Adira walked the path, you were all around them climbing trees, observing animals, and picking flowers. 

"She doesn't know, does she?" Varian said. 

"No," Adira said. 

"Why didn't you tell her?" Varian asked. "We can't keep it a secret forever. Besides, she deserves to know that she might nor see her dad or her home again."

"I know," Adira said. "But look at her." She gestured towards you as you continued to enjoy yourself. "This is practically like heaven to her. I don't want to crush her spirits on her first day of real freedom."

Varian sighed. He didn't feel like he could argue with Adira's logic. He just kept his mouth shut and continued onward. Once you had calmed down from seeing your new surroundings, you walked beside Varian and made him wrap an arm around you like you always did. Varian lightly smiled as you did so and laid your head on his shoulder. You really did feel like you were in heaven.