Awkward

"This is a bad idea," you said peeking around a building to get a look at the giant place holding the party. 

"Oh, dont worry," Rapunzel said tightening your corset. You grunted in pain. "Everything will be just fine. We're just going to go under cover, find the artifact, and get out."

"Yeah, sure," you said sarcastically. "That doesn't sound like it could backfire at all." You grunted in pain as Rapunzel tightened your corset again. "I get why," You grunted again. "This is necessary."

"Well," Cassandra said. "Trust me. I don't like this either, but this party is only for people of high status. Sadly, for women that mean corsets, buckles, and bows."

"What is this event, anyway?" you asked. 

"I'm pretty sure the son of the duke and duchess is supposed to choose someone to be his betrothed."

"Isn't he only," You grunted again. "Fourteen?"

"Yeah," Cassandra said. "That's why he's choosing a betrothed, not a bride. It basically means he'll choose a girl tonight, and she'll stay with him until they come of age. Then they'll get married."

"That seems a little crazy," you said. 

"Most of these things are," Rapunzel said with a shrug. 

After a few more painful minutes, the three of you were finally done getting dressed and headed for where you would meet up with Eugene and Varian. 

"Hello," Eugene greeted with a flip of his hair. You and Cassandra rolled your eyes, while Rapunzle gave him a hug. 

"Where's Varian?" you asked. 

"Come on, kid," Eugene said. 

"No way," Varian said from behind a building. "I am coming out like this."

"Oh," you said. "I'm sure you look..." You paused when Eugene pulled Varian out of his hiding spot. "...fine."

You, Cassandra, and Rapunzel felt so confused as you all looked Varian up and down. He wasn't wearing a suit. Instead, he was wearing a blue dress and a small veil on his head. 

"Eugene," you said crossing your arms. 

Eugene nervously laughed before explaining. "Well, you see," he said. "Since the kid in there is choosing a lady-love, they won't let in any boys close to his age into the party. Doesn't want any competition."

Varian groaned and tried to hide his face in his hands. "On the plus side," you said. "That shade of blue suits you?" Varian gave you an are-you-serious-? look. 

"Um," you said approaching him. "Maybe he can just stay out here and be a look-out."

"No can do," Eugene said. "We need everyone in there. There's a lot of ground to cover, and we still need some people to distract anyone from noticing us."

"Sorry," you said looking at Varian. "I tried." Varian groaned and laid his head on your shoulder. You wrapped your arms around him and patted his back. "There, there."

"Alright," Cassandra said. "Come on, let's move." You all headed for the entrance. You could tell Varian was really embarrassed, so you held his hand to make him feel a bit better. The guards gave you funny looks as you passed by. 

"Alright," Rapunzel said once you were all inside. "Eugene, Cassandra, and I will try to find the artifact. (Y/n) and Varian, stay here and keep anybody from getting suspicious."

"Got it," you said as they all split up. 

"This is so humiliating," Varian said standing behind you, trying to prevent himself from being seen.