Betrayal

"This way," you said leading Rapunzel and Fredric into the left tunnel.

"Thinking of going through these caverns was genius, (y/n)," Rapunzel said. "I still can't believe they run through all of Old Corona."

"Thanks," you said. "You're likely to find out a thing or two when your best friend is always getting into trouble. Well, more like ex-best friend."

"I'm sorry," Rapunzel said.

"It's fine," you said walking up to a ladder. "This is it. Varian's lab should be right above us."

"I'll go first," Rapunzel said climbing up the ladder.

"Stay behind us," Fredric said placing an arm in front of you. "This boy could still be after you." You nodded and followed them up the ladder.

Rapunzel and Fredric approached Varian from behind as he stood at a window, while you stayed behind. Fredric grabbed Varian only to see it was a doll. Before he or Rapunzel could do anything, they were attacked with several chemballs making them get stuck in the pink goop that formed. They turned their heads as they heard an evil chuckle. They saw Varian emerge out of the shadows with his staff lighting up his face, and he had one arm wrapped tightly around you.

"Welcome back," Varian said with a malicious smirk. "Rapunzel."

"Let go of her, Varian," Rapunzel said.

"And why would I do that?" Varian sarcastically said. A smile crept onto your face as you turned your head and pecked Varian's lips.

"W-w-what?" Rapunzel said confused.

"Oh honestly, Rapunzel," you said. "You're more gullible than you look."

"(Y/n)," Rapunzel said. "How could you?"

"How could I what?" you said leaning against Varian. "Choose my lover over a kingdom that manipulated and lied to me?"

"What?" Rapunzel said.

You unwrapped Varian's arm from your waste and walked up to Rapunzel. "Well, let's see," you said. "I was away when the snowstorm hit." You grabbed Pascal from Rapunzel's shoulder and handed him to Varian. "When I came back, Varian seemed to be a forbidden topic. Whenever I asked about him, I heard a different story and another excuse why I couldn't see him. Then later I am asked to make weapons to deal with a certain threat. Only recently did I recover you were using my gift to fight my best friend. Although, I guess boyfriend would be the more appropriate word now."

"That's enough," Fredric said. "Now tell me where the queen is."

"Your majesty," Varian said locking Pascal in a cage. "I know it might be hard, but for once in your life you are in no position to demand anything." Rapunzel and Fredric gave worried looks. "But," Varian continued. "In the spirit of compromise, how about I meet you half-way?" He pulled back a curtain to reveal Arianna chained to the floor by her ankle.

"Mom!" Rapunzel exclaimed.

"I'm okay, Rapunzel," Arianna said.

"Let her go, Varian," Rapunzel said. "Please."

"First," you said walking next to Varian and leaning against him. "You're going to do something for us."

"What do you want?" Fredric asked.

"Oh," Varian said laying his hand on top of yours. "So, now you care about what we want. Funny." He walked over to Arianna and grabbed her by the shoulders. "All it took was threatening the things you loved the most." Varian got up and walked to the other end of the lab to get his drill.