Know Better

Modern Prison AU
You groaned as you flopped down on your uncomfortable bed.

"Something bugging you, princess?" you heard an all-too-familiar smug voice say.

"Go away," you said keeping your face pressed down in your pillow.

"Come on," Varian said leaning against the open doorway of your cell. "You know I can tell when something's troubling you."

"Just go away," you said pressing your face further into your pillow. Varian wouldn't let up. You suddenly felt someone sit next you on your bed.

You tensed when you felt Varian trace a certain spot on your body. He examined the rip in your jumpsuit. "Who did it?" he asked in a low mean acing tone.

"Who did what?" you replied playing dumb.

"You know exactly what," Varian said in a louder and harsher tone. "Who jumped you?"

"It was just Lady Caine's boys," you said.

"No it wasn't," Varian said. "You're lying. Now, who tried to take you?"

"It's no big deal," you said. You suddenly felt Varian firmly grasp your shoulders and force you up to look at him.

"It is a big deal!" Varian exclaimed. "If someone tried to take your innocence, it is a big deal!"

"Mal and his gang tried to jump me, okay?" you quickly said.

"Mal," Varian said with venom in his voice. "Again?"

"Varian, please don't try to fight him again," you said. "Last time you tried, you had stitches all over your back for over a month."

"I don't care," Varian said as he started to get up off of the bed.

"Varian," you said grabbing his arms to prevent him from going forward. He turned and looked at you. "Please," you begged.

Varian looked at you for a moment longer before sighing and sitting down. "Fine," he said.

"Thank you," you said wrapping your arms around him from the side for a moment.

"Get moving, maggots!" you suddenly heard someone yell. You and Varian looked out your cell door to see an officer was standing outside of the door to your small district. "Dinner time in the mess hall!"

"Come on," Varian said getting up. You reluctantly got up and followed Varian out.

You kept looking around nervously as you and Varian walked to the mess hall. There weren't that many females in this place, and you were the only one in this part of the giant prison. That, unfortunately, made you a bit of a target for the perverts and creeps of the place. You were glad at least Varian wasn't like that with you. Despite being fairly you, he was able to gain the respect of a fair amount of inmates in this place.

Mal was one of the only guys in the joint that always went up against Varian. They were rivals down to the core. You were never able to understand how Varian was always able to face Mal so easily. Many people claimed Mal was pure evil, the embodiment of all things wicked.

Your thoughts were cut short when you heard a voice from behind you whisper your name. You turned around nervously and shook in fright at what you saw. Mal was standing only a few feet away with several of his followers right behind him. They all had creepy smiles on their faces as they eyed you up and down.

"Mal," Varian said stepping in front of you.

"Varian," Mal acknowledged.

"What do you want?" Varian asked through gritted teeth.

"I bear no ill will," Mal said simply. "I just came to retrieve what's mine from you. Now, if you could just hand her over-"

"She's not your's, Mal!" Varian angrily said.

Mal darkly chuckled. "I don't think you understand," he said with a crazed grin. He suddenly picked Varian up by the collar of his shirt and slammed him against the wall. "I run this joint. What I want, I get. And I want that fine little specimen that follows you all over the place. I will be the one to take her innocence. Virgins can be so..." He paused for a moment as he licked his lips. "...delicious."

You whimpered as Mal's men took hold of your arms. "No one gets a taste before me, got it?!" Mal said.

"Yes, boss," the men said.

"You're not going to touch her," Varian said.

"And just what are you going to do to stop me?" Mal asked in amusement.

Without thinking, Varian punched Mal as hard as he could in his jaw. Mal stumbled back in surprise and dropped Varian. Mal looked at Varian for a minute before saying, "Big mistake."

The rest became a bit of a blur after that. All you could remember was all the noise and witnessing the boys delivering hits to one another. You weren't sure how, but Varian was able to get the both of you away with only a few scratches and a limp.

That night, you laid awake on your bed. You still felt shook by the earlier events of the day. You knew Mal and his gang were in a different section than you were and the doors to the sections of the prison were locked for the night, but you still felt scared. Mal was capable of many things, and there were rumors that he had a set of keys that could open any door in the joint.

You felt your nerves overtake you as you got out of your bed and walked to Varian's cell. You were never maids thankful that he was in the same section as you were.

You looked at Varian as he slept soundly on his bed. You walked up to him and laid down next to him against the wall, felling your nerves slightly fade as sleep finally overtook you.

Varian opened his eyes for a moment felling like something was off. He blushed when he saw you were in his bed. He was still for a moment before he pulled the sheet over you and wrapped his arms around you. You subconsciously snuggled into him. Varian held you tighter. He wasn't ever going to let anything happen to you. He loved you too much to let that happen.