Tonight

You were sound asleep in your bed until loud thunder woke you up. It was really pouring outside.

Your eyes widened a little once you realized you were alone. "Varian?" you said sitting up. You saw the door to the bedroom was opened. You got up and walked out. 

You searched throughout the house, but you couldn't find him anywhere. You suddenly heard a loud bang come from the living room. You rushed downstairs as lighting lit up the house every few seconds.

"Varian?" you gently called as you walked into the living room. You gasped at what you saw. The room was a total wreck covered in broken glass, and all the furniture was tipped over and busted. You took notice of a broken window. You quickly ran out into the rain.

You saw Varian put in the middle of the storm. Those rocks were surrounding him. His hair was glowing a bright blue. He was on his knees crying out in fear and agony.

"Varian!" you exclaimed running to him. You tried to reach out to him only for a rock to sprout up and block your path. "Varian, it's me! I'm here!"

Varian seemed to have heard you and looked in your direction. His eyes were lit up just like his hair, and tears were running down his cheeks. "(Y/n)?" he said.

"Yes, Varian," you said still trying to reach out to him. "It's me! I'm here!"

"It hurts!" Varian exclaimed as his hair glowed brighter.

"It's okay," you said. "I can help you. I just need you to calm down a little. Take deep breaths." Varian did as you asked, and the light slightly dimmed.

"Okay," you said slowly approaching him as a path cleared for you. You wrapped your arms around him, and he instantly clung to you. You slowly rose to your feet and brought Varian with you. You quickly headed back inside to get him out of the rain. 

You sat Varian on the couch in front of the fireplace and wrapped a blanket around him. You hugged him, and he rested his head on your chest. "What were you doing out there?" you asked as you cuddled him close.

"I don't know," Varian said. "I was just overtaken with the pain, and I wasn't thinking straight."

"Oh no," you said holding him close and placing a kiss on his head. "I'm so sorry. I forgot. It was a full moon tonight."

"I wish I was never given these powers," Varian said in frustration. 

"Varian," you said stroking his hair.

"No," Varian said standing up. "Everything would have been better off if my dad never used that stupid opal!"

"Varian," you said placing a hand on his shoulder. "It was the only way to save your life."

"Yeah, well that choice might have saved my life, but it took my mother's," Varian said. "If she hadn't saved me, she would still be her, and the world would have one less burden to deal with."

"Varian," you said stepping in front of him and cupping his cheeks. "You aren't a burden."

"I possess the moondrop, (y/n)," Varian said. "I embody darkness itself."

"Varian, there's more to you than that," you said. "The moon lights up the night so we can see through the darkness. Just how you were my light in my dark times."

Varian sighed and put his hand over yours. "Why do you refuse to let me be down?"

You pecked his lips. "Because I love you too much," you said. You suddenly yawned. "How about we go back to bed?"

"Sounds good to me," Varian said with a smile as he held your hand. You walked back to your bedroom and laid down. You snuggled up to Varian and fell asleep almost instantly. Varian smiled at your sleeping form and gently brushed your hair away from your face. In that moment, all he could think about was you. You mattered more than anything to him. You stayed with him even after everything that happened. Quirin wasn't his birth father. Varian was actually part of a lost royal family. He had been found by the rocks to lead him "home". Now, whether he liked it or not, he was the prince of darkness. His powers only came back stronger as the days went by, but you never left him. Nothing could express how grateful he was for that. Nothing mattered more to him than his precious princess of the night: you.