Always There

You floated there as you watched all the people gathered around your fresh grave. You had died only a couple days ago, but you ended up stuck in limbo. You were a wandering ghost, a lost soul, with nowhere to go.

You paid the most attention to Varian through the whole funeral. You and him had just started dating not too long before you died. You were crushed at just how heartbroken he was.

You wanted to always look out for him and stay by his side. You watched over him as the days followed and tried to hug him when he was sad. Too bad that he couldn't feel your presence.

Varian was standing at your grave again. He laid a flower down and let a few tears escape his eyes. "I'm sorry, (y/n)," he said. You stood by him and listened to every word he said. "I should have done more to protect you. It felt like my life was just beginning on oh for it to be shattered when you were taken away. I just want you to know that I still love you and always will." He paused. "I wish I could hug you one more time."

Your eyes watered up. You reached out to Varian only for your your hand to go straight through him. It really hurt you that you couldn't do anything to comfort him. You wished you could somehow let him know that you were still with him.

Varian was about to turn and leave when the moon seemed to get brighter. You both looked at the moon as it's light changed to a shade of blue. You felt slightly different like a strange sensation had come over you.

You looked over at Varian, only to see him staring at you with wide eyes. "(Y/n)?" he said with total shock.

"Y-you can see-" Before you could finish your sentence, Varian engulfed you in a hug. You could feel him he could feel you.

"You're here," Varian said with tears of joy flowing down his face.

"I have a feeling it's not permanent," you said looking up at the moon.

"No," Varian said holding you tighter. "No, I can't lose you again."

"It's okay," you said. "I never left your side. I'll always be watching over you." Varian let a couple more tears escape his eyes as you kissed him and became a floating spirit once more.

"(Y/n)?" Varian called out looking in all directions. "Where are you?"

"I'm right here," you said even though he couldn't hear you, and you hugged him from behind. "I'll always be right here."