Deserted

You looked out over what was left of Old Corona. It looked so different that what you remembered. It had been so many years.

You looked over at Varian as he tightly held your hand. You could see a haunted look in his eyes. He hadn't been home since...the battle.

"Varian," you said taking your free hand and cupping his face. "If you're not ready, we can wait a little longer."

Varian didn't respond. He just closed his eyes and brought his hand to yours, keeping it place on his cheek for a moment longer. 

Varian took a deep breath and walked into the deserted village. You followed, staying next to him the whole time. The condition of the place sent chills up your spine. Homes were still in ruin. Black rocks were still scattered everywhere. Pieces of automatons were everywhere. 

You and Varian stopped in front of your destination: Varian's old home. It was halfway destroyed. Only a few walls were still standing. Pieces of debris were everywhere. 

You and Varian walked forward and stopped in front of an all-too-familiar yellow-orange substance. Varian placed a hand on the Amber and looked at his encased father. 

"Why was I so dumb?" Varian said. "If I had just listened to my dad, then-"

"Varian," you said placing your hand on his shoulder. "It's been fourteen years. You can't continue to blame yourself.

"Can't I?" Varian said turning his head to look at you. "If I hadn't poured that substance on the rocks, this amber never would have formed."

"Varian, it's all in the past," you said standing next to him. "You must learn to let go and look to the future."

"How can you just expect me to forget what happened?" Varian said.

"I'm not asking you to forget," you said. "I just want you to be happy with the things you already have." Varian gently held your hand and looked at the ring that sparkled on your finger. "And what has yet to come." You placed your hand on your stomach and looked at Varian with pleading eyes. 

Varian sighed and sat on the floor, leaning against the amber. You did the same and leaned against Varian as he wrapped his arms around you. 

"Varian," you said. "We're going to be a family. I know you miss your father, but I just want to see you be happy with a family once more. Only thinking about your old one and never about your new once could make you miserable." You pecked him on the lips and layed your head on his chest. 

You felt Varian hold you tighter and rub your hand that had the ring again. "I am happy," he said. "I'm happy that this is mine."

You smiled and snuggled into Varian. He placed his hand on top of yours on your stomach. ge was going to be part a family again.