"i'm letting you win." he states and i scoff. "mhm sure whatever." i mumble as i write down my score.

once the game is finally finished, and i win, toby quickly packs up the scrabble board so we can start truth or dare.

"now, are you ready for the best game ever?" toby asks excitedly, sitting up on the bed and i copy his action.

"can i ask first?" i ask him, and he nods. "hmm." i say, tapping my chin as i think.

"do you like anyone?" i ask him, and his cheeks turn a dark shade of red. "maybe." he says sheepishly, and my mouth opens the slightest, completely in shock.

"who?" i ask, leaning in closer and he puts his hands up. "hey, no way, that's not how this works." he says and i groan.

"truth or dare?" toby asks, and i think. "truth." i reply simply, but toby has a smirk on his face. "is it true that you like someone?" he asks me, and i bite the inside of my cheek.

i stay silent, but he continues to stare at me. "yes." i say shyly, looking down at my hands in my lap. "who is it?" he asks excitedly and i stop him.

"nope, if you won't tell me, i won't tell you." i tell him and he groans.

"fine." he replies, crossing his arms. "truth or dare?" he asks me, and i quickly reply with "dare."

"i dare you to call the guy you like, and tell him how you feel." toby says with a mischievous smile, and i swear my heart stops.

i lick my lips, and my palms start to sweat. "o-okay." i respond, and sit frozen, staring at my phone screen.

"am i gonna win this so soon?" toby smirks, and i look up into his eyes.

i swallow thickly and shake my head.

i dial toby's number, and take a deep breath in. i press the call button, and just wait.

then, toby's phone starts to ring and his eyes go wide. he slowly takes his phone out of his pocket, not breaking eye contact with me as he does so.

he looks at the caller ID and sure enough, it was me.

"i like you." i tell him, pushing a piece of hair behind my ear. he stays silent, just looking from his phone to me.

fuck i really messed up. "please, say something." i tell him.

"ask me the same question." he says. "what?" i ask him, very confused. "just do it." he tells me and i nod.

"um, okay. truth or dare?" i ask and he says "dare" without thinking twice.

"i dare you to call the girl you like and tell her how you feel." i tell him, and he nods.

but instead of reaching for his phone, he leans in closer to me, pressing his lips to mine gently. "i like you." he smiles, pressing our foreheads together.

"you had me so worried, cavanaugh." i laugh, shoving his shoulder playfully.

i lean in to kiss him again, but this time he moves back slightly, so our lips don't touch. "time to continue our game." he smirks, and i frown.