Finally Understanding

Spencer's POV:

"Hey Toby, I'm so excited to hangout at your place." I smile, getting in his truck with him. I scoot over, kiss his cheek, and then move back over to put my seatbelt on.

"Yeah, about that." He says beginning to drive. "My, uh, dad is home. He doesn't know much about me, nor us, he isn't very fatherly." He states.

"Hey, you've told me that many times, but trust me, no matter what he won't scare me off. I love you, and nothing will ever change that." I smile, holding his free hand and he smiles.

"I'm just warning you." He sighs, running his hand through his hair. "It'll be fine, plus, he doesn't scare me. I met him before." I tell him.

"Once. You met him once. It was Christmas, he was drunk. That shouldn't count." He tells me and I shrug. "Well it does." I state.

"He probably doesn't even remember much of that day, so no, it doesn't." Toby tells me, continuing to keep his eyes on the road and I sigh.

"I don't know why you're being so weird about this, Tobes. You know I love you, I've said that a lot, and I'll keep saying it. I've met him, once, and you don't call it a real meeting, but I'm sure he's fine." I smile, kissing his cheek as he drives.

This time, he sighs. "Spence, only if you knew.." he said shaking is head. "Knew what? You're being weird, Tobes. It's scaring me." I say, looking back and forth from him, to the road.

"That's the thing, I can't really say. Anyways it's nothing. It's fine. He's fine. We're going to my place." He sighs once more, and I nod slowly.

The rest of the ride was silent.

When we get there, we walk in, there is no sight of his father. We walk into his room, laughing at what happened in class today, when there was a knock almost immediately after we closed it.

"Toby? Is Spencer here. It's your dad." He says, and Toby whispers, "go in the bathroom and lock the door, okay?" He asks, now looking scared. I nod, running to the bathroom and partly shutting it, to see what happens.

"Um, she's in the bathroom, come in." Toby calls, and his dad walks in.

"What did I say about having people over?" He whispers angrily, and Toby looks down, not answering his question.

"I also said look at me when I'm talking to you!" He shouts, slapping Toby across the face, and I gasp, jumping back. Tears form in my eyes, watching the man I love being abused by his own father.

I take a sharp breath in, my heart beating fast. His dad shakes his hand as Toby places his hand over where he had slapped him.

I accidentally push the door, not revealing myself though, but the two of their heads jerk my way. "I better go." He mumbles walking off, and Toby sits on the edge of his bed, putting his hand on his face again.

"Toby," I say, slowly approaching him. "That's my dad." He says, laughing sarcastically.

"I'm so sorry," I tell him, slowly moving my hand to touch the good side of his face, and he flinches backwards.

"If I would of known.." I say shaking my head apologetically. "No one knows, except you." He says, looking down.

"Toby.." I say, sitting on his knee and pulling him in for a hug. "Don't," he mumbles, pulling back from the hug, and I sigh.

I feel so bad for him, my heart aches for him, it could just shatter right here, right now.

"Toby, let me see the mark." I tell him, reaching my hand over, and he pushes it away. "Don't touch me." He mumbles, turning his head, but still leaving me sat on his knee.

"Toby, please." I say, in more of a begging tone and he sighs. "Toby Cavanaugh, I love you. I want to help. This kills me, seeing you like this, watching this, knowing this.." I tell him.

"I want to help. You don't need to be scared anymore, Tobes. I'm here. I always am, I always will be no matter what." I tell him, kissing his cheek, and he looks me in the eyes.

He turns his head slowly to reveal a huge scratch mark across his cheek, and blood dripping down his cheek onto his jeans.

He continues to look down as I look at the cut. I reach over for some tissue, and begin tracing it with the tissue.

"Hold still," I tell him, and he doesn't move, only flinches every now and then.

After a few minutes of cleaning the blood, and finally getting it to stop, he looks up into my eyes, looking hurt.

He opens his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. He does that once more, before just putting his head down again.

"I can't imagine how hard this is." I say, and he nods, still avoiding eye contact. "Toby, remember what I said. You don't have to be scared anymore. I know now," I say holding his hands.

"I'll be here everyday, or you'll be at my place, until you're old enough to move out. Then you don't have to worry about this, or him." I say.

"Please don't be silent about this. You need someone, Tobes. And I'm that someone. I'm your someone." I sigh, squeezing his hands gently.

"I'm your safe place to land." I tell him, and his head slowly turns. Seconds later, his eyes begin to water, and his head finds itself on my shoulder.

He's quietly sobbing, with his head on my shoulder. I run my hands through his hair gently, and then on his back.

"Shh, you're okay, Tobes." I tell him. I fall back onto his bed, bringing him with me. I pull him down with me, and hold him close.

"You're safe, Toby. It's you and I forever." I smile kissing his head, and holding him tight.

We spend another few hours just laying here, when there was a knock at his door. Toby's eyes were no longer full of tears or red, and his face was no longer puffy.

Toby doesn't reply, and I don't know what to say, so I stay quiet. The knock gets more aggressive and his dad bursts through the door.

He immediately stops to see that Toby is asleep with his head laying on me, holding me close, and I'm running my hands through his hair soothingly.

"Oh, sorry to bother you two." He smiles sweetly, thinking I have no clue what happened. "It's fine," I smile, looking down at Toby who is soundly sleeping.

"I'll come back later." He says, and leaves, closing the door behind him. I continue stroking Toby's hair, when he opens his eyes partially.

"Hey, sleepyhead." I grin, leaning down to kiss him. "Sorry, are you uncomfortable?" He asks moving off of me, and I pull him back. "Not at all." I smile.

"I know I've been avoiding what happened between my dad and I, but thank you." He tells me, playing with the bottom of my shirt as his head rests on me.

"For what?" I ask, pushing some hair off of his forehead. "Not leaving." He says shyly and I smile. "Nothing could ever make me love you any less." I tell him.

"I know, but I thought this would." He says, continuing to play with the bottom of my shirt. "You won't have to worry about anything scaring me away. I'm here to stay." I reassure him.

"Have I told you how much I love you lately?" He asks sitting up, bringing a hand to my face. "Yes, but I'd love to hear it again." I smile, as he slowly strokes my cheek.

"I love you, Spencer Hastings." He smiles.
"I love you, Toby Cavanaugh." I smile, and he leans in, syncing his lips with mine.

••••

I wanted to write something kinda sad / cute?! Don't know if I succeeded?

I'm trying to update a lot but I suck at that

Comment thoughts??