6x20 AU

Prompt: Spencer catches Caleb cheating on her and Toby gets over protective

Spencer's POV:

I was on the way over to surprise Hanna with a movie night for the 2 of us, because she's been feeling down lately about her and Jordan breaking up. Also, Caleb, whom I'm now dating, is going to be out of town for a few days on business.

I knock on her door, but no one answers. I wait a few seconds before opening it.

"Hello?" I call out.
No answer.

I walk up the stairs quietly, when I hear a noise from inside her room. That's weird. Was she with a guy? Or was another one of the girls here? I peek in to see her tangled up in her bed sheets.

With Caleb.

I freeze.
My heart drops.
Why me?
I don't deserve this.
My breathing gets heavy.
Tears fall down my face.
I don't know what to do.
I open my mouth,
preparing to interrupt,
but I can't.

Everything is lost.

I run down the stairs as quickly as I can, running to my car. I get in and speed back to the barn. I can't believe him, or her. Yes, I know, they were in love and dated for a long time.

But they were in love, I didn't think they still were. The whole ride home my mind and heart was racing. I couldn't breathe. There isn't enough air in the world for me right now.

I can't stop crying and my breaths are short, mainly sobs. I go inside my barn, not making it to the couch before I sit down, bringing my knees to my chest and crying even harder.

I can't do this, not again. I did this many time when Toby made me hurt. But we always forgave each other.

Because we're Spencer and Toby.

This? This is different. It's Spencer, Caleb and apparently Hanna. It's a messed up love triangle. Actually, it's more simple than that.

Hanna loves Caleb.
Caleb loves Hanna.
I love Caleb.
Caleb doesn't love me back.

I can't stop thinking, my mind won't shut off. I hate the current reality, because it's the truth. I love Caleb, but he really doesn't love me. He never did.

I can feel my heart break more inside my chest. I haven't hurt this much since Toby and I broke it off because of the pregnancy scare. Or any other high school break up we had. I want to run, and never look back.

But I can't. My family's here, and my friend's are here.

Maybe I should run. Who would notice? They don't need me. I'm invisible.

Wait.

"If you ever get the urge to runaway, call me." Toby says. I nod, taking his hand in mine.

That very moment plays over and over in my mind. It sounds pathetic to call him, seeing it was nearly 7 years ago, but does he still care?

Before I realized it, I had Toby's number dialled, and I was impatiently waiting for him to pick up. Just after 2 rings, he did.

"Spencer?" He answers.
I don't say anything, I just breathe.
It's something about his voice that calms me.
"Spencer? Are you okay?" He asks.
"I need you." Is all I can say.
There was a brief pause, it was late, he was probably with Yvonne.
"I'm coming." He responds and I hang up.