Better Parent

Spencer's POV:

It isn't easy being parents.

Toby and I thought we were ready, and could handle this baby, but it's harder than it looks.

She's always crying. She never stops, only when she sleeps. If she decides to sleep.

Toby and I are laying down on the couch, cuddled into one another trying to get some shut eye while she is too.

I feel Toby's lips against the back of my neck, and then kissing along the sides of it and down to my shoulder. I turn around in a different position laying down so it's easier for him to kiss me, but instead on the lips.

He gently presses his lips to mine, slowly kissing me. "I'm so exhausted, Toby." I say looking up into his eyes.

"I know, me too." He replies stroking my cheek with his hand. "You're handling it well, Spence. You're in 12th grade, have a new baby, and have so many responsibilities." He tells me.

"It seems as if I have it all under control, but I don't. This is so much. Of course I don't regret having her, but my life has been more chaotic since she came along." I say.

"I get it." He tells me. "But you're an amazing mother, still manage to get straight A's, and work part-time down at The Brew." He says.

"Yeah but even with all that, and the fact you gave a job, we're not financially stable. We're barely able to keep this loft." I sigh.

"Hey, look at the plus side. We do have a roof over our heads, and we are able to pay the bills here. It's not ideal but it's perfect for a small family of three." He tells me and I smile.

"All very true. I love you." I smile kissing him. "Love you too." He replies with a grin. After a moment, we hear wailing from the baby monitor alongside of us.

I groan, putting my head against his chest and reaching for the monitor. "Why can't she sleep? It's 1:30 am!" I exclaim getting up, because it's my turn to check on her.

I walk in the room, sit on her rocking chair with her in my arms. I rock her and quietly sing to her. "Shh, go to sleep Haley." I say kissing her head but she cries louder. A few tears fall down my cheek and I immediately wipe them.

"Am I a bad mother, Haley? I'm sorry." I exclaim holding her close as she continues to cry. Minutes after Toby walks in the room and sits on the arm of the chair.

"Spence, you, uh, left the monitor out there. So I heard what you were saying." He says. "But you aren't a bad mother. You're amazing, look at you." He says taking her from me. "She won't sleep!" I cry putting my hands over my face.

Immediately after Toby rocks her, she stops crying and begins to coo. "She hates me!" I exclaim making Toby chuckle.

"Toby it isn't funny." I say, tears streaming down my face. "My life is a mess and my own baby hates me. I'm a terrible mother." I exclaim.

Toby lays Haley in her crib because she's finally asleep after a minute with Toby, and he leads me out into the living room.

"Spencer, I promise you that you're not a bad mom. You're strong, beautiful and smart, while still managing your hectic life." He says wiping my tears.

"You may think she hates you, or your life is falling apart, but it isn't. It's all about perspective, baby. If you see it from my point of view, hell yeah our life isn't perfect, but it's perfect to me because the most perfect people are apart of it." He says and I smile.

"Wow, that was a lot of perfects." I smirk and he does too. "It's just that you're a way better parent than me, she's a daddy's girl already, and to be honest, I'm jealous of you." I say and he chuckles.

"Because she's a daddy's girl?" He smirks. "Yes, and because you're a better parent than I am. You're so good with her, I try and try but she just cries even more when she sees me. My own little baby hates me." I say, more tears falling.

"Hey, Spencer, I told you that you're not a bad parent." He says pulling me in for a hug. "Don't lie, I am. She can't stand me, but as soon as you hold her she's okay." I exclaim and he wipes my tears.

"You know, Haley seems to be a lot like you already." He tells me. "How?" I ask him.

"Well besides the fact she has your beautiful eyes, and starting to grow dark brown hair, she has some non-physical features of you too." He tells me.

"My favourite being that as soon as I hold her and tell her it'll all be okay, she calms down." He grins and I do too.

"You both find me loving and protective, she's more like you than you think, you know." He says kissing my head. "Sorry I over exaggerated a little." I sigh.

"A little?" He asks and I smack his chest playfully. "Okay, maybe a lot, but still, you always reassured me that I was doing just fine as a parent." I say.

"That is very true." He replies. "Thanks, for being there during it all." I smile.

"I don't know what I'd do without you." I smile.

•••

Hahah this sucked :/

Hope you enjoyed your day!!!

Comment thoughts????