may i have this dance?

spencer's pov:

"mom, the wedding is going to be so boring for me." i complain, walking down the stairs and straightening out my skin tight black dress.

"i know sweetheart, i'm sorry." she apologizes, cupping my cheek. "it's just the cavanaugh's wanted all four of us to go because her son is moving here and he's your age. it's a good way to get to know him." she says, removing her hand from my cheek.

i let out a sigh, and roll my eyes as i take my phone from my purse. "ah, ah ah." she says, grabbing it from my hand. "this stays here. i'm making sure you and her son become friends, you need to get out more." she exclaims, tossing my phone onto the couch as i groan.

"come on, it won't be that bad." she says with a smile, dragging me out the door.

-1 hour later-

the cavanaugh's arranged that we meet them outside the reception at 5:00 pm sharp. we pull up at 4:55 pm and spot them standing by the entrance.

as soon as my dad parks, my mom excitedly gets out and runs towards marion with open arms. "oh my god, veronica!" she exclaims with a smile.

"you look so good!" my mom smiles, hugging her tighter.

they continue to hug for a minute, and they finally pull back to introduce us to her son.

"everyone, this is my son toby. he's your age, spence." she says with an unsubtle wink, making my cheeks turn a dark shade of red.

i look up at him and his cheeks are slightly red, and he gives me a small smile so i smile back. "ready to go to the wedding?" she asks and we all nod.

-after the 'dinner' part-

at our round dinner table, it went melissa, my dad, my mom, marion, toby, and me. i was in between my annoying sister, and this extremely cute stranger.

"i'm going to get some dessert." i smile to my mom. "you don't want seconds, do you?" she asks. "no, i'm full, really." i smile, pushing my seat out.

"actually, i was thinking of getting some dessert too." toby speaks up, standing very quickly. "perfect." i smile, and he gestures for me to lead the way.

"i'm toby." he says to me as we pick up dessert. "yeah, i know." i giggle at his awkwardness. "and i'm spencer, but you also knew that." i reply, picking up a small piece of cheesecake.

"let's go back to the table and get to know each other?" i suggest and he nods excitedly, his eyes lighting up.

as everyone at our table eats their dessert, toby and i converse back and forth, just getting to know each other.

"how are you two making out?" my mom jumps in, interrupting our conversation. "we're doing good, thanks." i smile, and toby nods quickly.

"that's good." she grins, looking at me with one of her looks.

this look was the "just go for him" one.

i subtly shake my head, and make eye contact with him again to finish our conversation.

as the night goes on, it's finally time for the music to play and for people to dance.

the first was a fast song, lots of people got up to dance along to that one.

the second was a slow song, it was perfect by ed sheeran.

i smile to myself, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. i love this song so much, it gives me butterflies.

i look up into toby's eyes with a smile, and he softly smiles back.

he stands up, and i give him a very confused look.