Practise

Spencer's POV:

"I'll meet you in English, I got to find Toby." I tell my friends, who are all sitting at a lunch table. "See you later." Aria waves, and I leave the table, searching for Toby.

I look in the cafeteria, in the hallway, in the gym, but he was nowhere to be found. I'm about to give up, when I spot him sitting in the back of the library.

I push past a few people standing next to the doors, and make my way down to where he's sitting. "I was looking everywhere for you!" I call out louder than I should of, and everyone looks at us.

"Oops, sorry." I giggle, in a hushed tone.

"Why were you looking for me?" He asks, moving his books so I'm able to sit next to him. "Well, if I told my other friends this, they'd laugh at me." I say, fidgeting with my fingers.

"What is it, Spence?" He asks. "I've never been on a date before," I say nervously. "And someone asked me to go out with them tomorrow." I say. "What, who? They'll need approval from me first." He winks, and I blush.

"That isn't important, I just need your help." I tell him. "How so?" He asks me. "Can you take me out on a practise date tonight, it can be at my house, my parents are out." I tell him, and he thinks about it.

"I'd love to help you, I'll be there at 8." He tells me. "Thank you so much, and I know we're best friends, but treat me like you would a date, because I need practise." I say and he chuckles.

"Don't be nervous, I'm your date and mentor. I'll help you along the way." He says, and I smile. "Thank you, Toby." I say, hugging him.

"See you tonight!" I yell out, walking away, and everyone looks at me again. I giggle, and look over at Toby who's laughing too.

—— later that night

I transformed my barn into a dinner scene for our practise date tonight. It has fairy lights, candles, a meal prepared, by me of course, and even some champagne.

As I was double checking my dress choice and hair in the mirror, there was a knock at my back door. I hurry downstairs, and open it to reveal Toby in a shirt and tie. "You look beautiful." He smiles, kissing my cheek.

"Thanks," I stammer nervously. "Don't be nervous." Toby whispers, gently running his thumb across my cheek, and I slowly nod, lost in his eyes.

I've never noticed how good he looked, and how amazing his eyes were until this very moment.

"Here, follow me." I smile, taking his hand and walking to the barn. I walk in first, and shut the door behind him. "It looks so nice when the lights are low and it's decorated." Toby jokes, and I smile.

"Very funny." I tell him, and he grins. "After you," he says, gesturing for me to sit first so he can push in my chair. He does so, and then sits at the table across from me.

"So, how are you?" He asks, reaching his hand across the table to hold mine. "I'm pretty good, how are you?" I ask him.

If I'm being honest, I totally forgot that this was just for practise. And judging by the way he was looking at me, I think he did too.

"I like to consider myself lucky." He says, taking a sip of champagne. "Why so?" I ask, repeating his action. "Because I'm on a date with the most beautiful person alive." He says, making me blush.

"Toby," I giggle, looking down, feeling butterflies in my stomach. "It's the truth." He tells me, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "Well, thank you." I tell him and he smiles.

"Ready to eat?" I ask and he nods. I stand up, walking over to the kitchen and his eyes don't leave me.

"I made some lasagna for the main course, because I know it's your favourite." I tell him, and he smiles, licking his lips.

"I didn't think our date could get any better." He says, making me laugh. I serve some, put it on the table and sit down again.

Moments after we begin I look up at Toby who's smiling. "God, this is so amazing. You're so amazing." He says, and I smile. "It's nothing." I shrug, continuing to eat.

"Nothing?" He asks, in shock. "If I tried making you food on a date, you wouldn't eat it." He tells me, and I laugh. "I'm sure you can cook something." I tell him, giggling, knowing he's a terrible cook.

"That was just mean, you know I can't cook." He says, and I break out into laughter. "I'm sorry," I apologize, laughing again. "You know, you have the most beautiful laugh. It's almost too perfect." He tells me, now talking more serious.

"Toby, you've made me blush so much." I smile, looking at the floor. "Look at me, Spence. You're beautiful I promise." He says, and I look up, blushing again.

"Toby you're really sweet, but I don't think anyone will say any of this and mean it. This is only a practise date, that's why you're saying this." I tell him, looking up into his eyes.

"Right?" I ask, and he sighs, biting his lip. "I can't be the only one feeling something that we've never had between each other before, right?" He asks, and I inhale sharply.

I slowly shake my head, looking down. "Spence, all night I've kind of forgotten it was even a fake date. All these compliments have been genuine, none were what I think some other guy would say to you." He tells me.

"I know this is crazy, and it's out there, because you have a date tomorrow. But, I was hoping maybe we could try to take this friendship further. We know there's something there to be explored." He continues on.

"Whenever I'd see you dressed up, I thought it was just a feeling of, I don't know, being friends. But I know now, I've had the feeling for a while, but I think you feel it too." He says, looking into my eyes.

"Toby," I say, standing slowly. I lean over the table and press my lips against his gently. I pull back slightly, but find myself kissing him longer than I intended.

"Does that answer your many questions and statements?" I ask, and he smiles, slowly brushing his thumb against his lip.

"I feel it too." I say, holding his hand. "I'll call the guy and tell him I can't see him." I smile, squeezing Toby's hands. "Thank you for this amazing practise date, which really turned out to be real. And eye opening." I giggle.

"I'm so excited to explore whatever this is." He tells me with a smile. "Me too." I respond, smiling back.

•••

Wow this is terrible and cringey!!!!

I have a nice few ideas but no motivation to write :(

Anyway ik this sucks lol

But comment thoughts please???