Holiday Party

spencer's POV:

"hey, mom? can the girls sleep over tonight?" i call out to my mom, all of us walking into my living room.

we just got out of school for christmas break, and we want to get drunk and gossip while my parents are away at a holiday party.

"spencer, you're going with us." my mom tells me, walking downstairs.

"what? it's going to be so boring mom. it's going to be adults casually drinking and talking. i won't know anyone!" i exclaim.

"spencer, you know the cavanaugh's are our best friends, and they want to see you again. they told me their kid just moved here and they're starting school here. they're your age." my mom explains.

"one: this is so unfair, and two: why do you keep saying 'they'?" i ask her. "i'm not sure if they have a son or daughter, so i guess it's a wait and see sort of thing." she shrugs.

i sigh, and roll my eyes.

"i'm sorry, guys. maybe tomorrow night we can catch up." i smile, and they all nod. "well, we'll get out of your way. have fun tonight, let us know how it is!" emily smiles, squeezing my hand and i squeeze hers back.

"thanks, em." i smile, slowly dropping her hand. i let them out, and as soon as i shut the door behind them i storm upstairs before my mom can tell me anything.

-a few hours later-

"spencer? are you ready?" my mom calls out to me from downstairs. "yes, just one second!" i yell back, looking at myself in the mirror one last time.

honestly, i don't think i look beautiful or anything, but i do look classy. i have a tight black dress on, and my hair curled, enough for a christmas party.

when i walk downstairs to greet my parents, they both just smile at me. "you look nice." she says, and then turns her attention to dad once again.

i'm never called beautiful or anything more than nice by them, so this is normal.

"okay, let's go." my dad says, motioning for me to follow them outside.

we drive for about 15 minutes, and then we reach the cavanaugh's. there's already a dozen cars parked on the street and in their driveway, so this is going to be a huge holiday party.

when we approach their house, we knock on the door, and seconds later mrs. cavanaugh answers.

"oh, hello!" she exclaims with a warm, welcoming smile. she shakes my dad's hand, gives my mom and quick hug, and when she sees me she hugs me really tight. "you look so pretty!" she exclaims, and i feel myself blush.

"thank you, no one tells me that." i smile to myself.

"we'll see you later, spence. we're going to mingle." my mom says, dragging my dad behind her.

i look around, and there isn't one person near my age in this house.

"excuse me, i'm going to freshen up." i smile to mrs. cavanaugh, and make my way upstairs.

the upstairs floor seems vacant, so i don't bother to shut the bathroom door while i'm looking at my hair and minimal make up.