Summer Job

Spencer's POV:

"Look at that hottie!" Hanna exclaims, nudging my arm and pointing to Toby Cavanaugh, the most popular guy in school.

"He isn't that attractive." I say, shrugging my shoulders and biting into my sandwich.

"You need to get your eyes checked." Hanna says, and begins obsessing over him with Aria and Alison while Emily and I speak about a different topic.

"So any plans tonight? It's the first night of summer!" Emily exclaims. "Nope. I'm working." I say, and she rolls her eyes.

"Can't you come to the party? Let loose?" She asks, hope in her voice.

But you know what they say about hope, it breeds eternal misery.

"Sorry, Em. It's my parents' business." I say, shrugging again and she rolls her eyes.

"Fine, but I'm sure there will be tons of hot guys to hook up with." She smirks and this time I roll my eyes.

-later that evening-

I started my shift around 3:00, two hours ago, and I've been alone in the store since.

My parents can't work here for a few weeks so it's just me taking care of a small store. Thankfully it's a 10 minute drive from home, so I don't have a long way when it's closing time.

I hear the bells on the door chime, signalling someone entered.

I look to the door to see Toby Cavanaugh, along with my two parents.

"Where is she?" My mom wonders out loud, and my heart beat quickens.

"Spence?" She yells out, and I pop my head up with a smile. "Hi, we can't stay long, but we hired someone to help you for the summer. He has the same shifts as you. Oh, and he goes to your school!" She exclaims smiling.

"Toby, this is my daughter Spencer." She smiles, and he reaches his hand out to shake mine.

"We'll get going. See you later tonight!" She exclaims and I nod, the bells on the door chiming again.

"I haven't seen you around school much." He speaks up, following me down the aisle towards the back.

"I'm not popular, so how would you know me?" I ask, rolling my eyes slightly. "Someone's got an attitude. I like it." He smirks, and I feel my cheeks redden.

Is he flirting with me?

I smirk a little, and begin to straighten up things on the shelves.

"Does it get busy here? I can keep you busy." He smirks, and I blush again.

I turn around, and he has me trapped against the shelf, his two arms on either side of me, pressed against the shelf.

"Umm, sometimes." I smile, escaping the position we were in.

"You're pretty, you know? Too pretty to be stuck in here working for the family business." He tells me, still sticking close behind me.