TARGET IN SIGHT

Elena's POV (The next day in the DIC headquarters; the offices)

Strolling through the top floor of HQ, I was still trying to wrap my head around the wild night before.

The party went on till dawn, and we had a blast, losing track of time. Sadly, we had to say our goodbyes, knowing we'd be jetting off to the first country on our list in a few hours.

Yet, I'm still wrapping my head around how smoothly he pulled off the whole surprise.

And what blows my mind even more is that he went through all that trouble just for me.

With my birthday still on the horizon, it seemed like celebrating with everyone was out of the question. Yet, thanks to this epic surprise, I got to soak up the good vibes with everyone one last time before diving headfirst into my next big adventure.

Just lovely.

Elena: Well, well...

My words bounced off the walls of Jake's office as I strolled in, with arms crossed, and leaned against the doorway.

Elena: If you keep being glued to that desk, those hemorrhoids are gonna sneak up on you - I snorted with laughter - Shit is a real pain in the ass.

Jake: Good morning to you too, Elena - A subtle grin played across his lips as he swiftly signed the document - I see someone here is in a good mood.

Elena: If I'm in my way to make your life miserable, I'll do it with a smile on my face every time - I chuckled and settled into the chair facing his desk - How about you? Did you sleep well?

Jake: Yes, thank you for asking - He nodded - And you? Need a hand with anything?

Elena: Do you really have to assume I'm only hitting you up when I need something?

Jake: Well, it's not surprising that an employee asks their supervisor for help when they need it - He glanced at me, directing a mischievous smile my way - Otherwise, such visits could be inappropriate, right?

Elena: If that's the case, you can bet your bottom dollar I won't be swinging by your office ever again, Mr. Danford.

Jake: I said it could be inappropriate, but I never said I don't like it, Miss McClain - He gave me a flirtatious wink.

Elena: Okay, but while we're on the topic of assistance... - I dug into my back pocket and whipped out my phone.

Jake: The Queen of Discretion - He erupted into laughter, unable to contain himself, shaking his head in disbelief.

Elena: Oh, shut up - I said, giving his hand a playful tap as I set the phone down - You wanted a business conversation? Then roll up your sleeves, Mr. Big-Shot.

Jake: So? - He inquired, hands resting calmly on the desk - What does my protégé require?

Elena: Well, starting from the fact that someone here swiped my phone in the middle of the night, and I only stumbled upon a message from Joe in the morning...

With my head bent over the phone screen, I looked up, piercing him with a steady gaze.

Jake: Hey, don't give me that look - He spread his arms - I told you, if I caught you glued to your phone instead of enjoying time with friends again, I'd confiscate it. Not my fault you don't take me seriously.

Elena: And, sure enough, my gut feeling was spot-on yet again, because just a few minutes after you stole my phone, I received a message from Joe.